1st Gen R53 Cooper S My exhaust has finally gone out, what now?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by panaphobic, Mar 15, 2013.

1. panaphobic

panaphobic Club Coordinator

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    #1 panaphobic, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    So I've been contemplating getting an exhaust for a while now. I've been spitballing on getting the Invidia exhaust or maybe the Ireland Engineering exhaust. I was thinking about doing the one-ball mod though, but I can't do that now. I noticed that my MINI was making a slight rattling sound from the exhaust one day, so I checked it and sure enough the welds where is holds the 2 halves of the driver's side muffler together, had failed. So I need to replace the whole system. I have a friend who works for an exhaust company and he said he could replace it for just the cost of the piping. I'm wondering how much louder it would really be if I eliminated the mufflers completely and just went with a straight pipe back. Has anyone removed both mufflers before? I would like to get a little more sound from it, but not a ridiculous amount, or to have it sound raspy (or ricey). Anyone out there have some suggestions?

Update (4/3/13): I have been talking with some guys at Group 4 Autosports, and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do. The only other question I would like some feedback on is the diameter size of the piping. I know the stock size is 2¼" and I don't want to go too big or anything on it. But what would you recommend and why? I see a lot of different sizes from 2¼" to 3", but what is the main difference, and what would be the best bang for the buck while still sounding great and not annoyingly loud?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Going with all resonators instead of mufflers will make it loud. I know that all to well.

3. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I just want it to sound somewhat deeper, but not super loud and annoying. Don't need a reason to be pulled over! I also am planning to make my own rear diffuser, and the current stock exhaust hangs down too low, so I also want something that is a lot smaller so it won't get in the way of the diffuser and won't heat it up enough to melt it either.

4. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    If you want to know what your mini will sound like without anything except just a cat. Then watch this video. I had a rattle in my resonator since I got the car. I figured just pop it out and replace it with a pipe(i dont have anything but 1 cat and 1 resonator and the rest is piping and tail pipe).

Well this turned out to be obnoxiously loud.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYLHHvrSqZM&list=UUiPsAojni7zRVqNQjpp-7bw&index=1]VIDEO0044 - YouTube[/ame]

This is really really loud. If i rev to 3k at idle anyone behind the car is covering their ears from pain and those who didnt are wiping the blood out of them. lol

EDIT: you know u can always replace with straight pipe then go back later and add a resonator.

5. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    The video is of a JCW exhaust with only the center small resonator removed, still has both cans.

Lots of folks get a system from their local shop made up from Magnaflow mufflers with/without the resonator. One of the best sounding systems is a local guy with the Magnaflow resonator and a single sided muffler. Sounds a lot like the video, just a bit louder and deeper.

6. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Update (4/3/13): I have been talking with some guys at Group 4 Autosports, and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do. The only other question I would like some feedback on is the diameter size of the piping. I know the stock size is 2¼" and I don't want to go too big or anything on it. But what would you recommend and why? I see a lot of different sizes from 2¼" to 3", but what is the main difference, and what would be the best bang for the buck while still sounding great and not annoyingly loud?

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    3" on a R53 is too big, been there, done that, tossed that money away. 2.5" works well.

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    Not sure this applies anymore. In the olden days with carbs & no ECU's going with a large pipe like a 3" would add a bit of power, but move that power & torque way up higher in the rev range. Great on the track, not so much on street driven car.

9. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I actually found a pretty need website that tells you how to calculate what size exhaust you should have. The 2¼" pipe is fine until about 189hp and then after that you should be looking into stepping up to a 2½" pipe. The calculation table is pretty in-depth and tells you how much volume each pipe diameter allows through it and tell you how to calculate how much volume your engine is actually putting out, and then you can determine from there what you actually need for your application. It's pretty neat!

How To Calculate Muffler Size and Exhaust Pipe Diameter | Exhaust Videos