2nd Gen R56 Cooper S 2" Cooper S Receiver Hitch

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Xcmtber14, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Xcmtber14

Xcmtber14 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking at getting a hitch for my 08 MCS and found a few different options. I would like to get the MiniDoMore hitch but I see it is only available in a 1.25". Does any company make a 2" for our Mini's? The reason I need a 2" is for my bike rack that is 2" only, not for extra towing. Thanks.

2. Onramp

Onramp Enjoy the Hiways of Life!
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Seek out a custom builder. The cost isn't much more, and they may have some solutions you like better for your bike mount. Also, Maybe the custom guy can change your bike rack over to the 1.25" to fit the MiniDoMore (which I have and like!).

Pat

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Contact either Aaron at Outmotoring or Russell at MiniFini and explain to them what you want and what you have. I'm sure either of them can help you out. They are both sponsors of MA.

4. MinifiniGirl

MinifiniGirl New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Nov 13, 2012
    Customer Service
    2273 Williams Rd. Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
  5. Xcmtber14

Xcmtber14 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Well I finally got around to getting my 2" receiver. I wanted a truly completely hidden hitch and the only 2" option I found was the MiniFini hitch but didn't like how it stuck out. I also contacted a few hitch manufacturers directly and they just suggested using a 1.25-2.0 adapter which I can't stand the look of sticking so far out. Eventually I decided to go with a custom builder (my dad and myself) to build a receiver. Once it was all welded together it was truly a bolt-on receiver, not even a cut in the foam!

Loosely going off the idea of the MiniDoMore hitch I went the route of integrating the rear bumper as the main structure of the receiver. Not wanting to have to take the rear end apart 800 times to design/cut/weld/paint/fit/cut again I found a rear bumper at a junkyard for $75! Can't go wrong with that.

Here's the receiver all mocked together before welding.
    [​IMG]

There's been many threads of hitch installs so I'll skip the removal process. As everyone else has noted, those two nearly hidden body clips PITA! Anyways, here's everything removed.
    [​IMG]

Out with the old
    [​IMG]

In with the new
    [​IMG]

All bolted right up
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Xcmtber14

Xcmtber14 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Another angle from underneath
    [​IMG]

Now the fun (nerve-racking) part. Cutting the rear valence. I wanted to be able to save the part I cut out and make that into a plug to make it really hidden. Having run out of good ideas on how to cut it, a spark hit me! Going to one of my hobbies of building and flying RC airplanes, I decided to use the Great Planes Slot Machine. Originally designed to cut slots for hinges in the control surfaces of airplanes, it doubles as a perfect rear valence cutter :devil: The tool works with 2 reciprocating saw blades that oppose each other so the cutting forces cancel each other.
    [​IMG]

Close up of the blades
    [​IMG]

That's as far as I got last night. Now on to put some finishing touches on, put all the trim and panels back on (after a quick stop a the auto part store for body clips :mad2: ) and test it out. More pictures to come when completed!

Attached Files:

7. Xcmtber14

Xcmtber14 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I got everything all done but didn't get around to posting final pictures until now. All I can say is I am more than pleased with my results. Everything turned out a lot better than I expected it to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I whipped up a custom 304 SS thumb screw at work to hold the plug in instead of using a pin, it works out quite nicely.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    #8 vetsvette, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
    Very nice work. Can't even tell you have a hitch. Now all you need to do is straighten those exhaust tips. :D

9. Xcmtber14

Xcmtber14 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    SUGGESTIONS WELCOME! It's bothered me since day one when I bought it. The left one slips off but the right one is bent and I can't get it come off/move.

10. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0