2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Carbon buildup codes of death? HPFP?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Spade, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    CEL came on and I have these codes.

P2096
    P2783
    P277b
    P277f
    P2773
    P2ac2
    P2a75

1st is too lean code.
    2nd is all cylinders misfire. (I may be confused with another but one of them is certainly this)

2009 Cooper S. K&N Intake and AP Stage 1 tune for a little while before.
    BUT I had just added a Riss Racing catless downpipe and O2 extender. CEL came on within 20 miles.

Rest of exhaust is stock; didn't change the tune.

MA, what do?

Hopefully this will be of help to someone down the road. Mini will charge $500 to do the carbon clean up. It has under 39K miles and still has CPO warranty. If it's the High pressure fuel pump, it's covered.

My logical theory is that all but the first code were there before and the too lean one made the CEL pop up. I don't see how a downpipe would cause the others but it does seem like way too much of a coincidence.

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Beyond my knowledge but I'll bump you to keep you on top. :Thumbsup:

Jason

3. Joker

Joker New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Automotive Euro Tech. TIS
    Phoenix,Arizona
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Anything from ignition components , vacuum leak, fuel delivery to leaking gaskets can cause a misfire. But since you have a lean FT code and a hall effect of multiple misfire are symptoms of intake leak. I have done a lot of N52 with this symptom and most of them were intake gasket leak, some were cracked intake and a 2008 325 with a bad plug tube gasket. Try this, but a can of brake cleaner, with engine running , around the area where the intake manifold coonects to the cylinder head. If you have a good sized leak there your car will idle up. But the best way to check it would be to smoke the intake.Hope this helps, goodluck

4. Joker

Joker New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Phoenix,Arizona
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    The down pipe can cause a misfire and a lean code also. Your O2 sensor. Is the last check point for your FT and the sensor is signal generating, its the last sensor that will try to correct your FT by signaling DME that its reading the value of your Short FT and the Long FTand signals it that it needs more air or fuel. But it would give you a different misfire morelikely a random misfire.

5. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    That's very helpful, I'll try that. Thanks

6. Joker

Joker New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Phoenix,Arizona
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    #6 Joker, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    Im currently rebuilding a N14B16 engine that my partner bought from the auction, it had a constant misfire on 4 and the DME detects a grave misfire on the first 1000 revolutions and shuts off fuel and spark and symptoms are the same as a bad coil, plug wire, or spark plug. Your tendency would be to check the spark plug because it would be the most obvious, you replace it and symptom and code remains, you replace plug wire till you replaced the coil pack and now leaning towards the DME. This happens even to some techs. What i would initially do is do compression test. If it fails then you have averted an expensive guessing game. The scanner or any tool is not the one that will diagnose and fix, its the tech. Always the tech and will be the tech. These tools act like a compass it will tell you which direction to take but its up to you to find the coordinates. Be careful when you go to auto parts store that offer to diagnose your check engine because they will tell you that you have a bad so and so because here is your code. My suggestion is take it to a diagnostics tech. Goodluck.

Oh you know what was wrong with my R55 ? Number 4 piston cracked.

7. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Cracked piston does not sound like fun

I. Visually checked and retightened everything for the intake. The coupler that holds it to turbo was 2mm off perfect placement. No difference

Checked cyl 1 spark plug since 5th code is cyl 1 misfire. It's fine

Took out O2 extension. Still have too lean code. AP says it's cleared the codes and I hear the noise. It they don't go away

8. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    So the only thing I changed was the O2 extension/defouler. Removed it.

Things didn't change at all at first. AP still won't clear the codes or they just come back instantly. Took it for a short drive; seems to run fine at low load/speed.

But new codes came up.

P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    P0304 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
    P0302 - Cyl 2 "
    P0301 - Cyl 1 "

9. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Tried something else; run stage 2 map instead.

So far it drives fine but I hear a slight clanking noise at idle with hood open. No CEL, no codes at first but after an easy drive the P2a75 code is up. Still no CEL.

10. Spade

Spade Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Drove it to gym; CEL on

2 more codes; P2271 and P2ac2

11. doubledown808

doubledown808 New Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Did you ever figure this out?

I have cold startups in the morning. I got a CEL, with the P0300, 0301, 0302, 0304 codes also.