2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Alarm System? Need suggestions..

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by RedMamie, Mar 15, 2014.

1. RedMamie

RedMamie New Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Accounting - Construction Billing
    SETX
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I have an '08 Cooper S and I'm 99.999% positive that it doesn't have an alarm. I live in a slightly sketchy apartment complex and I don't trust my neighbors (or anyone) around my beautiful MINI.

I'm also broke. This is an important fact to consider when giving suggestions.

So, I need suggestions for an alarm system that'll give me the most bang for my buck. I've never actually had a car worth protecting, so I've never shopped for car alarms and I don't really know which companies are the best, or which alarms are the best, or anything about alarms at all. Period.

You'd think with the internet it wouldn't be necessary to ask other people for help, but I'm suffering from information overload from trying to figure this out on my own.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You really don't need one if you lock your car and don't leave valuables out in plain site.

MINI's can be a pita to steal and the chop shops don't really want them for parts that's why the are cheap to insure.

If you had a Camry or Accord I would say get an alarm.

3. c0op3r

c0op3r Active Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Mech Eng and IT
    Orlando FL
    Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree, I found that alarms are annoying and worthless.

No one can steal a MINI without the Key or a tow truck.

I would suggest that pretty much do what Dave.0 suggested, leave nothing that can be seen, dont play the stereo loud in your area.

Hell, I never even tinted my windows, so they can see there is nothing in the car. It really is common sense, dont leave the iPad, GPS, Wallet and Radar Detector on the dash and you will be fine.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    On The Minis like BMW's if you lock the car with the remote you can't unlock the doors. The only way to unlock and open the door is with the remote. Even the unlock switch won't work or pulling the handle from inside.

5. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Go with the factory alarm kit it will be a direct fit and work with the wiring correctly.
    also you can call your insurance company and let them know you've added an alarm and often get a discount.

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    If you are going to be alarmed the factory alarm is the way to go. I'd just have your MINI reprogrammed so the light on top of the tach flashes. That is the best part of the alarm. We had the one on my wife's clubster done. Love the flashing red alarm light when you lock the car.

7. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Or just add the flashing LED.....CAR is already tough to steal...only thing the alarm does is make a siren go off so you can make a police report now (broken glass) than in the am...cause siren or none...the gps,etc will be gone in seconds....

8. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Umm, no.

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Or just hire a good sniper. :ihih:

10. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I say just keep your concealed weapon of choice handy and keep your eye on your own car...