2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Exclamation point=MINI not starting?!

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by vshore100, Apr 8, 2014.

1. vshore100

vshore100 New Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Assembly Manager
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    #1 vshore100, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    Hello guys and gals. It's been a while since I've been here. Life, etc. has been having it's way. Anywho...Sunday night I had the MINI parked in the driveway. My wife went to start it and pull it in the garage, but it wouldn't turn over. It gave the indication that it was trying to, but wouldn't go any further. We got out the manual and looked up the "!" code that it was showing on the driver side gauge cluster, and it said something about a driver door switch. Close the door and try again.

We did this, but with no luck. I ended up having to remove the negative cable off the battery for a while to clear the code. It then started fine. I accidentally left the door open and tried to start the car again a little later, and it caused the same thing. I once again had to remove the cable and let it sit to resolve the issue.

With all that said, I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if so, how did you resolve it from happening again. I would think that one should be able to start the car with the door open without throwing a code. I don't want this to happen to my wife while she's out and end up leaving her stranded until I can manage to get to her.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. :smile5:

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This is a new one...be interesting to see what others have to say.

3. vshore100

vshore100 New Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Assembly Manager
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Indeed it will be.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    That's odd! Is the battery in good shape.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Strange stuff for sure. At least you have a work around to start it. I'm sure someone will chime in here with the cause. Not me though, just a bump for you.

6. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Free bump

7. vshore100

vshore100 New Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Assembly Manager
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Yep, the battery is strong. I'm not sure what the deal is. I noticed the other day that I now have no auto-up on the drivers side window either. So weird...:confused5:

8. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    how old is that battery? you have all the symptoms of one or two cells failing.....as an aside, we only install world one or oem batteries-everything else has a short life in these cars.

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Optima Red Tops work great in MINI's.

10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    +1 Optima Red Top going strong for 4 years.

Just my experience which is limited to my MINI.

11. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Ditto!! About 5 in mine.....with LOTS of sitting when I leave for a week or even a MONTH a time for work.....no tender.

12. vshore100

vshore100 New Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Assembly Manager
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I can only say that it was in the car when we got it last February. I didn't look at it in great detail as it was getting dark when all this happened. I may look at replacing it soon. Thanks for all the feedback regarding which battery I can use. Is the Red Top more expensive than the factory unit? Also, do they make different sized Red Tops, or does the large one like I see at Autozone actually fit in that tiny spot?

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    They make many different size's or Optima red tops and Yes they cost more but they last and last. Nothing wrong with OEM either I just like having more CCA in the Winter because I am in PA and it gets cold here.

14. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Biggest pluses with the redtop/other batteries of the same type is longer life, more power, and better recovery chances if deeply discharged.... The general type is becoming MUCH more common, even from the factories in some cars that have auto/start/stop or lots of electronics...there are several brands that have a premium battery similar to the optima....the optima was just the first well known brand....they are sized in battery groups like all batteries....
    Optima production was moved from Colorado to mexico a few years ago...some say they are not as good...who knows, but many batteries are now made in locations that have "simpler" environmental rules.....

15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    The battery type for an Optima is AGM. Absorbed Glass Matt.

I bought a battery (non-agm) for my wife's R55 at Advanced Auto Parts. The size that will fit your MINI is a group 47.

16. OptimaJim

OptimaJim New Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Always nice to see so many satisfied customers. Our production facility is now located in Monterrey, but the quality, while always excellent, has never been better. There are a couple of things that differeniate Optima from other AGM brands. We use 99.99% pure virgin lead (primary), which performs better and lasts longer than the recycled (secondary) lead used in the vast majority of car batteries. While our parent company, JCI, recently built a secondary lead refinery in South Carolina, there are no longer any primary lead refineries in the United States. That means anyone who wants to use pure lead in their batteries needs to get it from a mine, have it shipped to a primary refinery and then ship it again to their production facility, before shipping it again to their retail locations.

Another major difference between Optima and other brands sold in the US, is that although we are headquarted in Milwaukee, we are a global brand, available at tens of thousands of retailers. A significant percentage of our batteries are sold outside the US, so having a centrally-located production facility helps minimize costs associated with transportation, which account for a significant portion of the expense related to battery production. As for environmental standards, we operate on a global standard, regardless of where a production facility is located. Our production facility was built using Six Sigma methodology and is ISO 14000 certified for environmental management and ISO/TS 16949 for quality management. If anyone has any questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
    eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
    OPTIMA® Batteries on Pinterest

17. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    Good to know. I will strongly consider this when it comes time to replace mine.

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have had Optima batteries in all my cars since the 80's and have never had to replace one. I live in the North East USA, outside Philly, and it gets very cold in the Winter. I have never needed a jump due to a weak battery.

I had a huge Yellow top in my audio competition car and it had so much power I did not need to add a high amp Alternator like most guys.

19. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    The Westco AGM in my Miata is 11 years old & going strong. :D

I do like AGM batteries.

20. vshore100

vshore100 New Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Assembly Manager
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys for all the awesome info. Oddly enough, last night the auto-up feature on the drivers side window started working again. :confused5: