2nd Gen R56 Cooper S How to curb pre-ignition and detonation in this hot weather?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Systemlord, May 17, 2014.

1. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I've ran through five bottles of BG 44K which for the most part have done all it can.

Ever since it got hot here in SoCal (between the City Of Angels and San Diego) I've been getting these unusual hard knocking that sound more like somebody snapping their fingers really hard! There's got to be something I can add to my tank to lower combustion temperatures until I save up enough for meth injection. What's recommended and where can I buy it?

Feedback appreciated! :)

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Just get a meth kit and run 92 or 93 octane. Issue resolved.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  4. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, So you need something that is cheaper than Meth as a hold-me-over.
    1. Try a different snake-oil: I have read that Lucas Octane booster is one of the few that really does increase the octane of the fuel in your tank.
    2. Increase the quality of your fuel: Stick with Top tier fuels, like Chevron or Shell, and make sure you frequent a station that is really busy so that the fuel is fresh. DEfinitely stay with 93 Octane if possible.
    3. Get a custom dyno tune. Many of us here, will swear by the work of RMW. Even if only a canned tune, Jane can ensure your car is running safely.
    4. Review your mods/maintenance? Have you done something to significantly upset the AFR? Something to limit the fuel, or add tons more air? Even check things like the fuel filter. If this was in 1st gen I would say, make sure you are not running a SC pulley that is too small (e.g. 19%), but that does not apply here.
    5. Get an oil cooler. Lowering oil temps by ~30-40deg is good for overall engine health and sure can't hurt combustion temps. Just make sure to warm the engine properly in cold temps before you take off.
    6. Get a better Intercooler. There are several out there that are much better than OEM and will lower your IATs.

Good Luck and take it easy until remedied...

5. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    no good gas here

there is NO 93 or 92 octane avail in Socal period. There are a few race gas pumps out there but we are currently paying 4.30-4.95 for the piss 91 we do have and the race stuff is 10 bucks a gallon. My R53 has a "safe" RMW tune with a 15% pulley (210 whp 15 lbs boost) and it has not been behaving as the op describes so I am thinking there is something amiss-or he has more boost from a17% pulley and/or a crank pulley. drive it easier till the weather breaks (maybe today but it's gonna be a long summer) or you could meet the melted piston scenario.

6. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Could be a carbon deposit causing a hot spot.

7. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    The OP ha a R56.... No SC pulley...

Has it had the carbon build up dealt with correctly? Walnut blast? Not snake oil?

8. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well he wants a relatively cheap solution, and the walnut blast option ain't cheap. If you are gonna do that, then just save up for the meth as it will clean up any carbon deposits.

9. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    With what he spent on bg44k (5 bottles at about $35-45 each) he could have had the car walnut blasted at many shops....
    Bg44k is great stuff....
    But I am getting the feeling he does not understand that fuel is NOT sprayed onto the back of the intake valves to cool and clean them in a DI motor like in a traditional fuel injected motor....sure his injectors and piston tops are clean....but valves were NOT helped one bit with bg44k in a DI motor.....

10. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I had the walnut blasting done at 48k cost $800 at dealer, reprogramming performed (53K now). I purchased my BG 44K locally for $20 a can = $120 for five. I'm "saving up" for a R56 HFS-4 meth kit. Using Shell V-Power 91 octane, sorry no 92 or 93 in SoCal. There is carbon around the outside of the pistons, seems like BG 44K has removed all but the thinnest layer of carbon. There is no carbon in the center of the pistons in the area around the spark plugs.

What about adding E85 to the tank?

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

I can not stress this enough.....NOOOOOOOOO!

It's cooling down this week in LA.

12. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    Whats up with that stuff? I see it all over town, and I see people with the flexfuel badges on their cars, but I have never once seen anyone filling up with E85. And its always a good bit cheaper.

13. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Cause you get about 30% less mpg due to the fact it has less BTU'S per gallon......so when you do the math...it is almost always more per MILE to run....then add the politics if burning food grown with oil based fertilizers and tractors, then trucked and barged multiple times (yes, ethanol is not compatible with the pipeline system_)....gives folks lots to debate....
    Cars that are flex fuel have computers that can (on the fly) adjust for various mixes...oversized injectors to allow this, hardened valves and seats, and updated fuel pumps and hoses......
    Just mixing it with e-10 to try to boost your octane is a dangerous path....
    Sounds like the op's car is in need of a mechanical fix....not just a bandaid or a magical addaditive.......kinda of wonder if a meth system might be a bandaid for other issues if installed....hard knock (as opposed to ping) is a MAJOR issue.... Parts will come out pretty fast as the block "self ventilates" if it is not stopped pretty fast.......

14. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Yeah.... If you are knocking as loud as you say.... You will destroy the pistons....

15. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    does the car start hard?
    does it feel like the hp is flat under boost?
    does it use oil?

16. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    Makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Hope OP gets that knock fixed, it sounds pretty bad.

17. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    If you are ingesting oil..... Turbo seals gone bad??? You will start knocking... You really don't want to be driving it like that...

18. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for my absence, been helping the mother out with her Colon Cancer!

Just for the record my engine doesn't knock per say, it has pre-ignition when ambient temperatures are 85-100 degrees low humidity in 3rd-4th gear above 3000 rpms under moderate to hard acceleration. Medium to high humidity I can do hard acceleration (like racing hard) with no issues or pre-ignition.

My Mini is running very strong, starts like a new engine, idles like a champ and oil consumption is low for an N14 engine. I've driven 2500 miles on this oil change and only had to add less than half a quart, so figure 1 quart oil added every 5000 mile oil change interval.

When I had the walnut blasting performed late last year it really wasn't that bad when compared with other members N14's, looked more like and N18 at 60k. Running 5 bottles of BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner in the past 5 months (1 per month) has greatly decreased pre-ignition to a point where it does not occur in cold weather anymore!

BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner has done a LOT of cleanup immediately around the spark plugs (silverish color now), if I install a hotter spark plug that would increase the heat in combustion chambers you would think it would remove more carbon with the added heat? That was more of a question.

Anyone recommend any procedure short of removing the head to clean ALL of the thin layer of carbon covering the outer half of my pistons? What's the most evasive chemical injection treatment (via throttle body) for removal of the rest of the carbon in combustion chambers?

Thank you all for sticking there! :)

19. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    A " hotter" sparkplug (heat range) will increase ping/chance of knock....Both are very different and not interchangeable....
    Not sure if a throttle body injected cleaner will work like you want....if it DID, than walnut blasting would would not be needed.....

20. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I'm just trying to imagine the engine running of 100% chemical carbon cleaning solvent versus gas mixed with 11 ounces of carbon cleaning solvent...? I contacted a BG Service Center that would inject a mist like fog into the throttle body much like that of meth injection using pure cleaning solvent for 15-20 minutes.

They want $159.99 ($129.99 for AAA members) for the service which wouldn't be that bad if it made a difference, but I'm wanting feedback first from someone who has had this type of service before. Perhaps there's another company who can offer and even better service than BG, BG is the only company I have found in my research that offers such a service.

Feedback needed and wanted. :smile5: