2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Alta Tuned Cooper S runs poorly after coldstart

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Rockridge, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Rockridge

Rockridge Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Director of Software Development
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have been running the access port as well as a bunch of mods for the last couple of years, and have been so happy with the performance. A couple of months back, on occasion, on a cold start, I started to get the yellow engine light, and car would run in degraded performance mode for about 3-4 minutes, then the light would go out, and car would behave normally. This would happen when the access port was installed, and when it was not.
    I brought it to the dealer, and they replaced the timing chain and guides, and the problem no longer happens when the Access Port is not installed. But, when I install the Access Port, it happens again. The engine seems to run real rough until warmed up, and on occasion throws the yellow engine light.

In an email with the folks at Alta, they suggested changing the plugs, and possibly needing a carbon purge on the back of the valves. I change the plugs, and dumped a couple of cans of Seafoam in the tank over a couple of weeks.
    I had de-carboning of the back of the valves done with about 25,000 miles on the car, and the car now has 41,000. If this is the case, are other folks who are using the Access Port having carbon problems?

Below are the codes that I am getting, most reference Knock or Super Knock.
    P2D52, P2DCD, P2BCB, P2D9C, P2D50

Before Shelling out another $500+ for the walnut de-carbon work, is there anything else I should look into?

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    The first two words below should be removed from the car and then test it again and see if your issue goes away.

Alta Tuned Cooper S runs poorly after coldstart

3. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Carbon problems are caused by oil vapor from the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system cooking on the backs of the intake valves and building up until the carbon restricts air flow to the cylinders. This happens because turbo MINIs have direct injection, rather than port injection that washes the oil off of the intake valves before it can cook there.

Carbon build up is not caused by the Access Port programming.

The factory recommended way to remove the carbon build up is by media blasting with ground walnut shells. Were your valves de-carboned by media blasting with ground walnut shells?

Seafoam added to the gas will do nothing.

Because the car ran just fine with the Access Port programing for a few years, I don't think it is the cause of the problem, though the programming seems to be amplifying the problem to the point that the car sets a code.

Going by your mileage and the mileage in which you last had a carbon cleaning, you may be due again.

Harbor Freight has their pressure media blaster on sale now for $99, you can buy the MINI media blaster tool on line from many vendors or make your own. I haven't had to clean my intake valves but I have all the tools for it when it becomes necessary. The tools cost way less than $500, whether or not it is a do it yourself job depends on what your time is worth.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I wouldn't blame ALTA in this instance. At least not yet. I agree with Dnepr Dave on this one.

5. Rockridge

Rockridge Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, but while the tune is installed, it appears much more sensitive to carbon issues.

Yes, I had the walnut treatment done at Mini Dealer. Then they followed it up with pumping fuel cleaner into the fuel system

I am almost hopping so, as it will be the cheapest cure I can think of at the moment... It just seems like a horrible design flaw, that I should have to do this every 15,000 miles...

Its worth my time, but I'd rather not screw it up....

6. Rockridge

Rockridge Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for cheering me up Dave!

If I remove the Tune, it does not happen, it also is not as fun to drive.

7. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    All Direct Injection motors have the same issue whether it's a MINI or a GTI.

8. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Like other have said the tune makes it more noticeable and I would say you need or are due for a carbon blast. Then I would test the car and then if everything is ok reflash your car with the ALTA tune.

Then all should be right in your MINI world again.

9. Rockridge

Rockridge Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    As suggested, and feared. I needed the de-carbon treatment. In addition the High Pressure Fuel Pump was faulty.
    After repairs, the car ran much better, but still would through codes once in a while, and on occasion a puff of white smoke while accelerating on the highway.
    Finally figured the problem was the place I was buying the gas. Now running Shell 93, and all is right with the world...

10. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Staff Microbiologist/hematologist at UC Davis
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    This is interesting - thanks for posting! Mind if I ask where you were purchasing your gas before?

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Glad everything worked out in the end. :Thumbsup:

A faulty high pressure fuel pump, dad fuel and carbon will kill the performance of any car.
    It's odd that you got the trifecta at the same time.