2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Strange sound coming from engine bay?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Systemlord, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,

I have a strange unidentifiable noise coming from under the bonnet that only occurs when starting the engine early in the cooler mornings, does not happen when say it's in the middle of the day and warm outside. It's impossible to pinpoint where this non-directional sound is coming from, it must be reverberating off of the flat surfaces in the engine bay.

It's a continuous linear sound with a harmonic tone and isn't an intake air leak because I had a mechanic shoot this fog into the intake, no leaks detected. Is this what a friction wheel (serpentine belt) or main water pump sounds like when going bad? I can't think of anything else it could be, I'm sure somebody knows what this harmonic tone could be. Anyone?

Thanks,
    Systemlord.

Skip to .25 seconds and you'll hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_RNSgkNvy4&feature=youtu.be

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    It sounds a little like you A/C running but not engaged if that makes sense.

Please list some info about your car for others. Year, Model, Mileage ect.

I have no idea but now I am dizzy. :D

3. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I've no idea, but I'm happy to give the thread a bump!

4. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Oh sorry, I have a 2007 MCS (just turn over to 54k miles) and haven't turned on the AC for a few months, you just gave me an idea Dave, next time I hear that noise I'm going to turn on my AC and see if it gets louder, quieter or nothing at all.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    It sounds like ether a loose heat shield or exhaust. I have had exhaust parts make this kind of noise till they heat up. Once they heat up just a little the metal expands and it gets quiet. Or it could be a lose bracket.
    In the morning after the car has sat over night and it's still cool check to make sure every thing is tight. Make sure to get under the car and check the exhaust.

6. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    If it is the heatshield, there is some sort of recall on it. The dealership replaced mine late last year before my warranty run out. Might wanna check with your local dealership.

Heatshield still sucks, and I noticed recently that the cowling above the turbo/heat shield has started to warp. :(

7. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    #7 Systemlord, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    Well Dave you were right, the sound is coming from the area of all of the pulleys. I heard that same harmonic sound but the interesting part is it changed tone a bit with the AC on, so now we know that it's either the AC pulley, friction wheel, alternator or the water pump. So if it turns out to be the AC what's involved in fixing it to where the sound is gone completely? Is this something most extended warranties would cover? I have a full 6-year powertrain warranty that covers any defects such as the oil feed line.

On another note what do you guys think of my spark plug colors? These plugs I bought from Way, I have 3k miles on them.

Attached Files: