1st Gen R53 Cooper S SES and EML with code P1125...again

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by rivercityRN, Aug 22, 2014.

1. rivercityRN

rivercityRN New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    RN
    Chattanooga, TN
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    So after 3 months without issue, I'm thinking my Mini is finally trouble-free. This morning, my son pulls into the garage with the car sputtering after he limped a mile back home...SES and EML again:mad2:. I ran the codes myself and found the P1125 again plus P1229. After clearing the codes, I restarted and drove a few miles without any issues. Both codes are related to throttle position sensor or failure. Am I looking at the ominous throttle body replacement or even worse, the engine harness?

2. rivercityRN

rivercityRN New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    RN
    Chattanooga, TN
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Nothing:confused5:?

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I've had a few periodic throttle body symptoms like that over the years. Always self-resolved, but usually I would unplug and reconnect the throttle body, just in case it was a poor connection. I bought a spare at one point just in case, but have never needed to install it.

I suggest you pull the plug, clean the connections with electrical contact cleaner, and use a tiny bit of dielectric grease on the seals (NOT the contacts) when you reconnect it.

4. rivercityRN

rivercityRN New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    RN
    Chattanooga, TN
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Blimey, did you also have code P1229 with EML putting the car in limp mode? Or just sporadic 1125's?

5. rivercityRN

rivercityRN New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    RN
    Chattanooga, TN
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Update: I removed the throttle body and cleaned thoroughly with CRC throttle body cleaner. I also cleaned the plug with CRC electrical contact cleaner. At times, I can drive the car for a hundred miles and have no issue or have it hit limp mode within minutes of starting.

It happened today and threw codes 1125 and 0420. The only common variable I've found is that it only happens in the early morning...usually at 7am on my son's trip to school. Any thoughts on why?

Also, should the flap in the throttle body be completely shut or partially open when the car is off? Mine has a gap of a couple millimeters when off. However, when the ignition is turned to the first location or back off, the flap shuts and then moves to barely open.

6. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Sorry - I just saw your question from last month.

I honestly don't remember what codes I was getting - it's been a couple of years since this has happened to me. The car DID limp a time or two.

Throttle not being 100% closed is not a problem.

If I were you, I'd find a used throttle body from a salvage yard and test with that.
    Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Looks like $65-$85 is a decent price range for these.

7. rivercityRN

rivercityRN New Member

Oct 15, 2013
    RN
    Chattanooga, TN
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Replaced the throttle body and all is well. Sorry for the late reply:cool:

8. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009