1st Gen R53 Cooper S Door chime and New owner of R53

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by johncoops, Feb 23, 2015.

1. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I bought a 2002 R53 last month and one thing that has bothered me since I bought the car is every time I stop the car, pull the key out of ignition, and open the door to get out - I hear the door chime and think I left lights or something else on. But I check and nothing is on. This one is stumping me. What could be causing the door chime to chime every time? What should I be looking for? Is there a way to disable or reset something? I should add that the R53 does have an aftermarket radio if that makes a difference or not. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You will learn to ignor it.

3. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    So this is normal?? No way to disable it? Didn't see anything in owner's manual about it. Why is it there?

4. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Mine does the same thing some time my lights are on sometimes it's nothing.

I guess it is a MINI thing reminding you to close the door you just opened. :lol:

5. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    It's a MINI "safety" thing. I think it is to alert if one unintentionally leaves his keys in the ignition, or his lights on, or if perhaps a child opens the car door while the car is moving.

BTW, welcome to M/A!

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Not sure what is going on, but it shouldn't be doing that.

7. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    That's kinda what I was thinking. Never had a car that chimed after removing the key and nothing was on. It does make me double check, but I do find it annoying. Would like to disable it but not unplug speaker to defeat so when I do leave something on, I know to turn it off.

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I have an 02 S it has always done it. It just chimes once, unless the the key is in the ignition or the lights are on then it's contunious.

9. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    The chime is continuous on my Cooper S after removing the key from ignition. It also continuously chimes when I get into the car until I close the door. Anyone have any ideas on how to defeat this? I'm thinking of attending my first Minis on the Dragon this spring. Would Helix be able to disable this thru programming?

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Sounds like an issue with a sensor somewhere. Maybe in the ignition switch or the headlight switch. I doubt it is an option that can be programmed.

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Hope to see you at the Dragon because with every good vendor on-site (Helix or Detroit Tuned) I am sure someone will be able to resolve this issue for you.

Question how old is your battery?
    Because odd things happen when batteries are low in any generation MINI.
    Also check your grounding locations and make sure they are clean and tight.
    One is under the hood by the Upper Motor mount and goes to the frame. Check both ends.

The one near the battery in the trunk should be ok because its inside the car but its worth checking.

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Everything can be programmed if you go to the "right people" and I am not talking about the Dealerships. :ihih::ihih:

I have options on my car turned on and the dealer thought I had a Euro MINI because the software they have can not set the options I have enabled. :lol::lol:

Mike "Blue Mohawk" @ Helix is the man you are looking for. :ihih::Thumbsup:

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    It sounds like something may be stuck in the ignition causing it to think the key is still in the car. On my Mini it only chimes once and that is if I open the door right after I take the key out. I believe it is my minis way of begging to be driven more. If I wait a few seconds before opening the door it does not do it, so the Mini nows the fun is truly over. :D

Maybe try a little WD40 and work the key in and out of the ignition a few times may do the trick. Unless someone here know a better lubricant for the ignition.

14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Gee Wiz I type slow!!! by the time I finished the post ScottinBend had answered once and Dave twice.:(

15. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Hey thanks for the suggestions. I do have some graphite to spray up into the key slot. I'll give that a try. The battery could be an issue too. I did have a problem last month with it - never did figure out exactly what the problem was. Didn't end up replacing it b/c didn't have any other problems with it. I'm about to do the upgrade to the 3 point steering wheel and will have all those steering wheel controls replaced with the new wheel. When I have the steering wheel column apart, maybe I'll figure what is wrong.

Yeah, I'm excited to attend MOTD. It's only a couple hours drive from Atlanta. I've been up and around that area many, many times thru the years - mainly for camping, backpacking, and hiking trips in GSMNP and Joyce Kilmer. LOVE the area! Since I'm new to the Mini community, thought it would be a great way to learn more about it and get some great ideas for my Mini. It'll be kinda funny car camping with a Mini, but if anyone wants to come hang out around a campfire down at the campground at the base of the dam - that's where I'll be. I'll have plenty of beer :) Or if it's crowded there maybe over by the boat ramp access over by the Tapoco Lodge.

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You had me at Beer, I am in. :beer :lol:

17. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    You're always welcome to my campfire Dave! Believe that Graham County is still a dry county, so at the least I could save you a drive all the way to Bryson City. Though don't think it would be hard to find a volunteer in the Mini Community for a beer run.:biggrin5:

18. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    There will be a ton of MOTD campers there at the base of the dam.

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    It is still a dry county and I bring 2 cases of good beer with me from PA every year. :Thumbsup: Every year we end up with left over beer we give away from all the beer our group brings.

My home office is in Sandy Springs just outside of North Atlanta. I used to drive down on Sunday (12 hours) and work in the office Monday and take off for the Dragon on Tuesday morning.

Now I have lots of vacation time so I take off Friday before the Dragon, the week of the Dragon and the next Monday after. :ihih:

I drive down to Fontana with a small group from Philly on Sunday night starting at about 10 PM and we arrive at Fontana around 6:30 AM Monday. The traffic and the speed limits are kind of "relaxed" :rolleyes5: driving overnight. We only stop for gas and breakfast.

20. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    #20 johncoops, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    You know, you just reminded me of a great idea to do with any leftovers from the weekend. All should take leftover food and drinks over to the Fontana Appalachian Trail Shelter (aka "The Hilton") adjacent to the top of the dam. Most likely there will be some A.T. Thru Hikers resting up there before they push on to one of the most difficult sections of the entire A.T on their long journey to Maine. You will never find a more appreciative or deserving person to give any leftovers to! I've given leftover food and snacks to Thru Hikers before and it made their week. Thru Hikers call this "Trail Magic". :)

And if you drive up along anyone with a backpack on, ask them if they need a lift or anything. I've been in their shoes before and they will hate to ask for assistance, but will always take - IF OFFERED!