2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Forge atmospheric BOV issue. Lost power, poor idle.

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by photoputz83, May 6, 2015.

1. photoputz83

photoputz83 New Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So I decided to buy a forge blow off valve for my 2010 mini s. I installed the valve and made sure all connections are correct, and that all sensor are seated properly. Knowing that I installed it correctly I figured it should work fine and would have a fun drive around town. Not the case. I lost quite a bit of power, it sound like the valve is open at light acceleration, and at idle it hesitates to stay running. Does anyone have experience with this, or have any ideas?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    First thing I'd do is put the old one back on and validate all is normal. If so, you may have either missed something on the install or it is possible the unit is faulty.

3. photoputz83

photoputz83 New Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Could it be caused by a weaker spring on the bov?

4. photoputz83

photoputz83 New Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It was fine before I pulled the recirculation valve. I have no codes, and torque pro shows that my parameters are in the green.

5. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Bump Bump. I don't have the answer but now you're back at the top of the list.:Thumbsup:

Jason

6. photoputz83

photoputz83 New Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So I pulled off the intake, inspected all the vacuum hoses, looked at the instalation instructions, checked all the bolts for tightness. Everything is in the green. Ran torque 2 pro, and used my snap on solus diagnostic setup.....still no indication why this is happening. Manifold pressure across the board looks good, and still not pulling any codes. motor has 53k on it, and valves were blasted 4k ago. Nothing seems to be throwing a red flag besides the lack of power. From my torque 2 app I'm only showing 7 psi max. On Monday I was pushing 17-18. I installed the heavier spring and I'm not seeing any change.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Put the old one back on the car and retest it. The problem looks to be the Forge unit.

Don't believe the computers listen to your car, it's not working right.

8. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    The car has the same problem subarus do when you do this, its looking for the recirc air and its not seeing it.
    try going back to stock to see if that solves the problem.
    If it does id imagine this will be up for sale soon.

9. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I had a similar issue with the atmospheric valve. It's looking for the missing air. Put the recirc one on with no issues. Upgraded the turbo and stayed with stock. The stock valves work fine unless they rip but they are as good as any other.

10. photoputz83

photoputz83 New Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So the issue ended up being the o ring supplied from forge. The o ring diameter wasnt substantial enough for it to create a seal against the seating surface of the turbocharger. Contacted forge with the issue and they are looking into it. Went to a local parts store and picked up a couple o rings. Works perfectly now. lag is noticeably lessened with the bov. A slight improvement over the stock valve.

11. photoputz83

photoputz83 New Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The snap on solus does live diagnostics. It did pick up some abnormalities, but nothing off to the point of throwing up a flag.

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I know what Snap-on tools does and it very cool but it cannot detect everything as you found out bay taking off the part and finding the wrong O ring.

Glad you got it fixed. :Thumbsup: