1st Gen R53 Cooper S Help with a noise.

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by 04blitz, May 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. 04blitz

04blitz New Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Toyota technician
    Colorado
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone, I recently installed a Way Motor Works 15% reduction pully along with a Way Motor Works tensioner stop new tensioner and new idler pulley. After installing everything I drove it around and everything was fine. The next day after work I was just driving through town and I started hearing what appeared to be a belt squeal around 3k rpms all the way up to redline under light and heavy acceleration. I put my stethoscope around the belt area and it appeared to be the tensioner. I reimstalled my old tensioner and again the noise was gone for about a day then it started up again now at 2500rpm and up. I was wondering of any body here had encountered this. Thanks you for reading anything helps

2. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    Did you put a new belt on and is it sized for the 15% pulley?

3. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    ^^ this. It should be a K060535 (Gates#) or equivalent.

4. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    I never recommend the tensioner stops. They're an answer to a question that's rarely asked, and cause more problems than they solve, like not allowing free and full movement of the tensioner pulley.

5. 04blitz

04blitz New Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Toyota technician
    Colorado
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone, yes I did put on a belt for the 15% pulley I actually bought another one and will install it tomorrow after work.

Eric, I was just thinking the same thing since the noise comes from the tensioner I am going to leave it off when I install my new tensioner on tomorrow.

Thanks guys I appreciate the input, this mini is the first supercharged car I have ever owned, everything else I have had were Japanese turbo cars so its definitely interesting not to mention how involved any sort of work is. Thanks again I will update after the install tomorrow

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    If you have installed the tensioner as per the picture on Way's site it is going to rattle a lot. It needs to be swapped end to end. The end with the slot needs to be attached to the spring arm of the tensioner.

7. 04blitz

04blitz New Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Toyota technician
    Colorado
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey everyone, well the noise is still there I don't understand what is causing it is still on the tensioner area yet everything else is quiet I don't knpw where to go from here I will try and post up a sound bit of it so you guys get a better idea of what it is. Thanks again everyone

8. 04blitz

04blitz New Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Toyota technician
    Colorado
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone, well after many attempts to up load a sound clip of the noise I was in able to. But I did manage to fix the noise it turned out to be the belt. I don't exactly know how the new belt I put on happen to fail but it did. Thanks again for the help everyone.

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Might want to check the all the pulleys for sharp edges.

10. 04blitz

04blitz New Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Toyota technician
    Colorado
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Nathan I will check into that tomorrow, is that a common issue with the R53Ss to get sharp edges on the pulleys? What causes that I have been an automotive technician for 12 years now and I have never encountered that.

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Debris getting caught in one of the pulleys is common.