2nd Gen R56 Cooper S 2012 Oil Change

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by fastzombie, Jun 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. fastzombie

fastzombie New Member

Jun 6, 2015
    Systems Designer
    Hampden ME
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have a new to me 2012 R56S. I have done one oil and filter change. The coolant tank is very difficult to pull up and out of the way. It seems like the connecting hoses are far shorter than earlier versions that I have seen videos of.

Is there an easy way to get at the oil filter housing? Someone suggested removing the fluid from the expansion tank, removing the expansion tank completely to make it easier to get at the filter housing.

My fear there is I don't want to cause any cooling problems by doing that. I'm not against pulling the tank if it makes getting to the filter housing easier.

Any tips?

2. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    I no longer have my 09 JCW but I do recall that the expansion tank is in the way. However I just kept a rag under it to catch the coolant drip from moving it out of the way and then it was easy to get to the filter.

Have you seen this how-to from the library? R56 Oil Service - Library

I would think it would be same for a 2012.

3. fastzombie

fastzombie New Member

Jun 6, 2015
    Systems Designer
    Hampden ME
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the directions to the how to. The problem I had with my first oil change is that the hoses connected to the expansion tank have absolutely no play. I can only swing the expansion tank upwards by about 6 to 8 inches. My hands are enormous! It is really tough to get in there.

4. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +661 / 0 / -0
    Is the space problem a Cooper S thing? I did my 2012 Cooper Clubman and got to the filter housing without moving stuff..

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Yes on the S the turbo is the issue. On a Justa R56 the filter is right there for an easy oil change.

6. Redmini641

Redmini641 New Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Albany, NY
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Did an oil change for the first on my 2010 Cooper S and I must agree the expansion tank hoses don't allow much movement. Twisting the tank slightly and moving it to the left does allow good access to the oil filter. Mind you in twisting the hose some coolant drips from the fitting but that stops as soon as the tank is repositioned correctly. BTW I used Liqui Moly 5W40 and about 20% Lucas Synthetic and this 93k engine has quietened down substantially.