2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Why coolant reservoir is empty?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by theateist, Jun 11, 2015.

1. theateist

theateist New Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have Cooper S 2009 (R56). I noticed that the coolant reservoir is empty. Even after I refilled it it got empty after a few days. I took it to the dealer and they told me that I need to replace the thermostat (the diagnosis was for free). I didn't have any engine check. The interesting thing is that after I returned from the dealer the reservoir didn't empty for at least a week. After a week the level of the liquid decreased to min mark and stays there. It's been already 3 weeks and the level didn't change. Can you suggest what could be the problem? If I have the leak why the water stopped decreasing?

2. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    hard to say without seeing the car but T stat leaks are common, but the water pump also likes to leak.

3. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I have had very few problems with my R56, but three problems have been coolant related. One of them was a water pump gasket, one was a cracked coolant reservoir, and I don't remember what the third one was.

The only way you can know for sure where you are losing coolant is to have your coolant system pressurized by a reputable tech.

CD

4. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    If it has the original T-stat you might as well bite the bullet and replace it. I bought the parts and had my local indi shop install it. Figured while he was in there I got him to replace the water pump with a later metal version and installed a new belt. If you list your locality maybe someone can point you to a reputable Independent Mini shop.

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Seems like all the thermostat housings / gaskets on these cars are prone to leak intermittently. The plastic/composite thermostat housing gets hot, warps a little, gasket loses its seal, coolant seeps out under pressure. When the car cools down sometimes it "fixes" itself for a while, then does it again. Fix is a replacement. Until the replacement starts doing it again in a few years. Then another replacement.

6. theateist

theateist New Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's not a water pump

The water pump is on the other side of the engine. So, it's probably like @BlimeyCabrio said - sometimes it "fixes" itself for a while and that's why the coolant is still there:), for a while.

7. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Instructions for the thermostat. Looks pretty involved.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek4YJUvZTPc"]Replace R55/R56 MINI Thermostat Housing Cooper S / Clubman S P0597 OBD code - YouTube[/ame]

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Jarvik 7 Heart pump.....

9. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ars458hcETE"]Robocop - Yamaha Heart Advert Commercial - YouTube[/ame]

10. Piston

Piston New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Bicycle Sales
    Central NC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty freaked out by the no warning light.

In my R53 I had all the coolant leak out, but I had a temp gauge in the car to tell me.

I would give some serious thought to an internal gauge with engine temp (I know I am)