1st Gen R53 Cooper S P1498?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Apex, Jun 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Apex

Apex New Member

Jan 19, 2014
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Hello MA!

Today I came back from a few days away from my R53, and wanted to take it out for a spin to run some errands. It had been sitting for a day and a half.
    I have been driving as I would normally do, getting into some boost and cruising around when the EML/SES lights came on. I did not notice any driving characteristic differences after the lights came on, seems to run normally so far. Any idea of what this P1948 code could be? It's a 2005 with 97k miles on it. 17% pulley, new plugs last year, supercharger oil changed last year, new air filter earlier this year. Just trying to give you guys some background info as I'm not really sure where to look?

Thanks!

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    P1498 is (Unmetered air after compressor) Check for leaks in the intercooler or the tube that goes from the back of the Supercharger to the Throttle Body.

Also check the boots to the intercooler. If not OEM, I would seriously recommend swapping to the OEM version. Time has shown they work the best.

Do you have an Oil Catch Can? If so, check all those line for cracks too. If an older M7 version the sight glass melts over time. It is hard to see as it stained with oil fumes too.

3. Apex

Apex New Member

Jan 19, 2014
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the quick reply Nathan!

No oil catch can for me, and I'm still running the original OEM boots as far as I know. I'll check around the intercooler and the tube to the throttle body.

4. BetaMini

BetaMini New Member

Aug 2, 2012
    eComm
    New Albany, OH
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Same issue happened to me on Thursday. EML and P1498. I just got done w a SC Oil service. So basically anything that could be leaking I probably removed during that process.

Taking it to Best Motor Werks so Anson can do a smoke test. Really don't want to take everything apart again if it can be isolated to the IC.

Does anyone know if you can actually get to the duct and green gasket in service mode?

5. Apex

Apex New Member

Jan 19, 2014
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    I would like to know if it is possible to change out the duct in service mode, and not have to drop the radiator, as well. I'll be getting a smoke test done soon, but so far as long as I stay out of boost I don't get any EML's.

6. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    You can do it, I can. just take your time

7. BetaMini

BetaMini New Member

Aug 2, 2012
    eComm
    New Albany, OH
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Read this tonight. Guess I'm dumb enough to wonder how they could go on incorrectly? Didn't know there was a "correct side" - maybe this is causing my EML and code.

Note* Do not remove the bolts completely. I did this and put the IC boot on backwards, which was not good and through me into limp mode!*

8. narvarr

narvarr Active Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Maintenance Tech
    Rowlett, Tx (Dallas Metro)
    Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -0
    I just had the same problem yesterday morning. I did a full boost blast across the Lake Ray Hubbard bridge in 4th gear, and had the EML light come on after I started slowing down. By the time I got home, the SES light was on with a P1498 code. I checked all visible vacuum lines but nothing stood out. I checked my IC boots and they seem to slide around fairly easily with the clamps tight and some cracking was visible on the driver's side. I called the stealership and they want $168 for the pair! So I installed the Alta boots to get me by until my order of OEM boots come in from Way. I drove it a bit then hit the bridge for another full boost pass to test out the fix. Once again the EML light came on as I slowed down but no SES light or stored codes showed up. Hopefully once I get the OEM boots install and take these AWFUL silicone boots off, the EML light will go away for good.