2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Engine Knock When Turning Off?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Systemlord, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I have been hearing a single knock sound after pushing the Start Button to turn off my Mini, it only happens when parked on a slight incline in my parking space. It doesn't happen at all when driving up an incline or strait-away. I checked my plugs last Saturday and they look good, checked gaps and there spot on. Carbon cleaning also done.

I have found a way to reproduce the knock sound, the only way to reproduce the knock is I have to driving around the neighborhood, park on the incline to get another knock. If I restart the car after it has already knocked restarting a second time won't do it, I must drive around and come back for it to knock again.

Anyone have any idea what it could be?

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    When you park on the incline, and you get the knock, is the MINI always parked with the front lower?

3. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    #3 vetsvette, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    I had a similar problem on my Vette once. IIRC it was a bad crank position sensor.
    I'm not sure, but do Minis have a knock sensor?

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    When it knocks do you answer it? :D sorry couldn't help it.

Could it be a bad motor mount or something lose? So when you turn the engine off it is movement that is causing the knock? Or are you sure it is in the engine it's self.

5. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0

Attached Files:

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Use better fuel not cheap 87 octane.

7. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I only use Chevron 91 octane, I don't get as much pre-ignition as I did with Shell V-Power 91 octane. OMG when will California have access to 92-93 octane gas? This is the land of the Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche dealers along Pacific Coast Highway in Orange County! :mad2:

How does a camshaft position sensor work other than knowing the position of the intake camshaft? Oh and my intake camshaft is retarded half a tooth on the cam sprocket, my dealer showed me when they tried to install both cam locking tools the one that holds the intake cam the tool didn't lay flat enough to insert the single screw that locks both cam tools together. It was soo close to laying flat! I have been told it's not off enough to cause any sort of problem, thanks vanos I think...

I installed new motor mounts awhile ago, there's absolutely no movement even if you attempt to move it. The knock is easily identifiable as a dog or cat barking, I remember when I had my old 1980 Datsun 200SX FI 2.0 liter I4 (2 plugs per cylinder, before O2 sensors) when I turned the distributor to retard or advance it it would make the same noise.

Also it kinda sounds like your typical old classic V8 when turning it off it diesels, that knock sound but only once. Also I am no longer able to predict or reproduce the knock after turning the engine off. It doesn't sound serious because serious usually scares the crap out of you, kind of like the bucket of bolts timing chain rattle. I couldn't even record it because the normal sound of the engine drowned out the minor knock. I could pull the camshaft position senor tonight and maybe clean it, maybe there's oil in it's eye sensor.

It does, behind underneath the intake manifold I believe, I'll check my Bentley manual later tonight. I'm just going to replace both the knock and camshaft position sensor next month, maybe that will solve my pre-ignition which is still a knock.

My parking space is inclined to where the front of the Mini is on the top of the slope, but since I can't reproduce it the incline thing might not be a factor.

8. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    My old '64 E type dieseled when I shut it off, I got in the habit of: Park, 1st gear, feet on clutch and brake, ignition off and let out the clutch. Dead engine every time...only if dieseling is the problem you're having.

9. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    No dieseling, just the single knock associated with dieseling. It's a just a faint knock.

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr0JaXfKj68"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr0JaXfKj68[/ame]

:D I know I am a lot of help

11. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    OMG, seriously thought that's my favorite sub movie period, only a few come near it. :lol::

Also to avoid creating another thread, could colder spark plugs (NGK ILKR8E6) colder than OEM heat range (NGK ILZKBR7A8G) lower cylinder temperatures and prevent detonation while driving in hot weather?

12. David Mc

David Mc New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The only time you should change spark plugs to a colder plug is if yours are indicating that they are running excessively hot - ash white and/or blistered porcelain insulators and eroded electrodes. If they are indicating normal (tan), changing to a colder plug would more than likely result in unburned carbon deposits forming in the combustion chamber, which will retain heat and worsen any pre-ignition problems. From your description of the problem, it sounds more like your engine oil is not cutting it.

13. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    How is pinging/knocking/pre-ignition/detonation have anything to do with oil? Fuel igniting early could be cause be a faulty knock sensor, high cylinder pressures do to lean conditions. This is the first time I have ever heard of blaming oil for pre-ignition. My plugs are light gray which is considered normal, I have used Royal Purple and Mobil1 oils. Those oils?

My MCS runs great 95% percent of the time, idles smooth and good power.

14. David Mc

David Mc New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    You are working on the assumption that the noise is an engine knock, but in over 40 years of working with engines, I have never encountered an engine that knocks only once. If it pre-ignites, an engine rarely does this predictably only once. Also at startup the engine is cold, so high cylinder pressure and excessive heat are non-entities. You are obviously using quality oils, so it is time to expand your search to accurately identify the problem. Start up and shut down are the times when your engine vibrates most, so if anything is loose in the engine bay, it can move and may actually be causing the sound.

15. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if this could be related to my engine knock when turning off the engine or pinging/knocking while driving (occasionally, not often), but on this past Friday I pulled my plugs (ILZKBR7A-8G) to check the color and there gap since I hadn't looked at them in 13,000 miles since I installed them. The gap on all four plugs was .028, if I'm not mistaken aren't OEM plugs for a 2007+ MCS N14 engine supposed to be .032?

I adjusted the plug gaps to .032 for what I assume to be correct (from .028) early morning Friday, drove to work in hotter temperatures 81F no pings or knocks. Saturday night I experienced a light ping right after shifting into 3rd gear upon the first second of throttle application, it was 70F degrees and very cool last night. For awhile now I have noticed my MCS idling at 680-700 RPMS and idles smoothly.

I know for a fact that had I not increased the plug gap the ping probably would have never happened because now my thought is I must have a weak coil which we all know has trouble with shooting enough spark across a larger gap versus a smaller one. Sure it could have been bad gas, even though Chevron 91 octane (CA :frown2:) which has proven itself to give me the the best performance and least amount of pre-ignition for any fuel used on my MCS since I bought it. Do to this low idling I have had my throttle adaptation reset along with unplugging my ECU for over a hour.

I have NEVER experienced pinging or knocking at these cool temperature (70F and cool) and the fact that all I did was increase the plug gaps a day before. My knocking/pinging has never happened in more than one cylinder, anyone know the ohms and resistance measurements on these coils when there new?

Is it possible that my pinging/knocking could be the result of a weak ignition coil and a 700 RPM idle? If so how can I determine which coil it could be? Ohms and resistance testing?

Thank you for your assistance! :Thumbsup:

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    I would think it is posable

17. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Uh hows your oil level?

18. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    According to the holy grail (Bentley Manual), testing of the coils should be done with an oscilloscope... Scope patterns are listed in the manual that indicate weak or defective coils....

19. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    From my Google search the oscilloscope are freaking expensive, will a digital voltmeter indicate weak or defective coil? If not would you or anyone recommend I take my coils in to be tested at some special shop?

Where in the Bentley Manual would I find out scope patterns, I'm still learning where everything is in that thick book. I haven't seen it in the Fuel Injection Section.

Thanks.

20. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    My oil level was good (1/4 low) when I checked it the day I have pinging/knocking, I never let it drop below the half point on my Craven dip stick. Thinking about going from Mobil1 0W-40 to 5W-40 instead of back to 5W-30. What do most of you guys use for oil weight and oil film thickness in hotter climates that like to push it hard?