2nd Gen R56 Cooper S R56 OBD II Code Mystery

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by TGS91, Mar 11, 2010.

1. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Hey Guys,

Installed a Samco intake pipe over the weekend which requries you to move the sensor that on the OEM pipe is right by the cold side turbo inlet. It has a 1" tube feeding back to the valve cover. For the install I shortened that 1" tube to match up with the new location

[​IMG]

I did not use the short pipe, as I said I shortened the existing

Right off the bat the car ran like a top. 2 days later I get the dreaded 'check engine light. OK figured it might be one of those self correcting things that overtime it would correct itself. 2 Days after that I borrow my mgr's CodeKey CodeKey: Unlock the Mystery of your Check Engine Light to see what the OBD II codes it was throwing. I got a 'P115C' and a 'undefined'. When I erased both the check engine light went out however it ran really rough until I put it in gear and drove just a short distance and it was back to running like a top. Next time I start the car, Check Engine Light

Not substantiated by any data but my "butt dyno" is feeling a lag in power in 2nd gear and somewhat in 4th when the Check Engine is on

I went to several OBD II sites including the CodeKey site and "P115C" is a unkown.

Any clues?

2. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Think I might have a clue...I had also cleaned and re-oiled the K&N filter in the CAI. Read somewhere that excess oil can gunk up the MAF sensor. I'll give that a try.

Any and all ideas are still welcome!

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Hey Tim, I couldn't tell from your note. Did you eliminate the use of that sensor on the 1" OEM tube going back to the valve cover? It turns out that is a heating element and in cold climates, keeps the water vapors from the valve cover from forming an ice block. It's positioned at the point of high air velocity in the main air tube coming from the air filter. This cooling effect forms the ice.:frown2:

It's item #1 in the pic
    http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=323&stc=1&d=1268342729

Attached Files:

4. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    #4 TGS91, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
    Did not eliminate. For whatever reason Samco moves the fitting to accept that sensor further up the intake, more to the air box/CAI side. I shortened that 1" tube and have it fit into the same fitting on the valve cover as the OEM setup

On the pic on my OP the end of the intake that fits into the turbo housing is on the right side, on your oem pic it is on the bottom. The sensor fits into the short tube near the left side on my pic.

5. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Cleaned the MAF, cleared the codes and they stayed clear. CodeKey gave me a screen I did not get before "erase OK"

Let's hope this is it

6. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Erease OK

means that it was successful in clearing the codes. P115C is NOT an OBD-II fault. All OBD-II codes are the form of Letter#### where the last four are numbers.

In general, if you're going to work on a modern car, I cannot stress enough that you MUST have your own scanner or diagnostic software. To do otherwise is like being an engine mechanic without a torque wrench.

Here I offer a couple Innova scanners for about 50% off retail.

Here I offer some Bavarian Technics diagnostic software that does much more than just OBD-II diagnostics.

Whether you buy from me or not, you really, really, really should get some form of diagnostic tool. No, they aren't perfect, but without them, you don't have the "ears" to listen to what your car tries to say to you.

Matt

7. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    While the code did not give me the 'answer' it did point me in the right direction to take the action I did.

After cleaning out the MAF sensor last night I started it up this AM and it ran real rough for a couple minutes and then evened out. Let it sit for about 3 hr's and no problem on restart. Seems to be running like a champ again with no Check Engine Codes.

My guess is the MAF had to get re calibrated to get the correct air/gas mix

Think I will pick one of these up, easier than borrowing my mangers every time I get something come up!

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Dr. O, assuming this will also clear codes as well? The blurb on the link was unclear

9. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yep...

read and clear. The 3130 does some more stuff like some logging and freeze frame data (this tells you the state the car was in when the code tripped. Odometer, speed, RPM and engine load, if I remember correctly). I've had one of the base units for YEARS and it's saved me tons of time and money.

You can read more about the different Innova units here....
    They've also added ABS features and new models 3140-3160. If you want to get one of those, let me know which one, I'll find a low price and I'll add it to the blog shop.

Matt

10. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I agree with the good Dr.

The nicer software-based scantools with full BMW Extensions are wonderful things - give you full visibility to what's going on with all the different systems on the car.

I've been using Autoenginuity for a while and love it. Now there are more options available than there were when I bought mine.

11. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Hey Tim, we, er you REALLY NEED to get one of these, nudge nudge, wink wink:Thumbsup:

Mark

12. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Ordered from Dr. O's link, considering it insurance to not needing it!

And yes you can borrow Mark!

13. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Cool!

and thanks! The kids will get thier happy meal tonight....

Matt

14. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I'm feelin' kinda magnanimous, make sure you get them 'cheese' on those burgers :p

15. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Is it here yet:Thumbsup:

Mark

16. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I got the same error code this week, though the car seems to be running just fine. I found my catch can was full and the hose between the can and the turbo was full of oil - not good. I've removed the catch can and returned it to stock to see if the error reoccurs.

17. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    its all good:Thumbsup:

18. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    So....
    Is the OCC going back on?:D

19. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    the saga continues...
    So I left the intake stock and everything was fine for awhile, but the CEL came on again a couple weeks ago and went out by itself after a day. It came on again 2 days ago while it was at the dealer for regular service (very good timing I thought). They said it was due to a faulty MAF sensor, which they replaced - it's a $680 part by the way. When I left from work yesterday, the stupid light came on again (still P115C)! I dropped it off again this morning. Obviously not the MAF that's the problem, so they better refund me for the part.