1st Gen R53 Cooper S Engine Died - Now it won't start!

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by MiniMadMike, Aug 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. MiniMadMike

MiniMadMike New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone.

So last week I was sitting at some lights in my (2004 pre facelift) R53, (engine idling) when suddenly the engine died. There were no engine warning lights or any form of warning, and I would liken the engine behaviour to that you would experience when running out of fuel (for the record the tank was nearly full). After that the engine would turn over but not restart, and the car had to be recovered.

I have done a fair amount of work on it, so I will list what I have done below:

- checked for a spark (held plug against engine mount)
    - replaced the plugs for new ones
    - tested a known good coil
    - turned over and removed a couple of the plugs straight away - they were wet with fuel
    - removed intake system up to throttle body in case of blockage
    - replaced crank position sensor with known good one
    - read fault codes using INPA, no codes stored in DME

The fuel pump does prime as normal. I got a pressure tester and the pressure at the fuel rail is 55 psi consistent both when priming and cranking.

I removed the fuel rail and left it all plugged in with the injectors pointing out so that I could see whether or not they were injecting. Interestingly each injector fires once after trying to start (directly after priming) and then if I keep cranking the engine there is no more injection. Would we expect the injectors to keep actuating in this situation?

I have just ordered a compression tester just in case of the worst, not sure if there's much point though as surely you'd get firing on at least some cylinders? And maybe a fault code?

Running out of ideas really, and advice would be most welcome.

Best,

Mike

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Boy.......hard to diagnose w/o a fault code. Strange it didn't throw a code.

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    turned over and removed a couple of the plugs straight away - they were wet with fuel

This would seem to indicate you have either no spark or no compression.

I'm always fascinated by how many parts people replace before they actually test anything.

Start with the basics - see if you have compression.

If good, move on to spark - pull a plug lead and ground it to the head someplace where you can see the spark and have someone crank it over. (If you need to - stick a phillips in the plug end and hold it near a ground)

If that's good, then move on to fuel.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

I'm just going to toss this out there since the injectors fire off once. Fuel Filter, they are not as lifetime as MINI says they are. My thought is enough fuel can get into the pump through the filter to inject once, then it has to sit and slowly refill the area around the pump.

Just tossing that out there, I'd follow Minidave's suggestions first. he's much more well versed at this than myself.

5. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! You can always find people here who are willing to help solve MINI problems. :Thumbsup:

6. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    If your plugs are soaked then that is one problem that needs corrected.

Unfortunately I am not near s Bentley manual to look this up but if I am wrong, someone will be along to correct me.

There is a process to clear a flooded motor. You will have to do some searching but it is some thing like cranking with no pedal, cranking with pedal, and/or maybe pulling the fuse to the fuel pump so you can crank the motor and get that fuel out of the spark plugs.

7. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    He put new plugs in, those were the ones that got immediately fouled, he either has no spark or low/no compression - my guess at least til he reports back. He said he checked spark, but unless he stuck something in the end of the plug connector, it won't reach all the way to the tip to give him a good indication of whether it's firing....the connection is too far recessed in the insulator.

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    The fact that his car was running fine & stopped at a light while running makes me think no spark. If it was bad compression it would be a worsening condition not a stop running at the light. Could be wrong often am.

Welcome to M/A Mike

9. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Bad compression will usually show up as misfire codes, ask me how I know :frown2:. Make sure you check that ground wire on the passenger side motor mount and to crank without the injectors firing you need to remove the fuel pump fuse.

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Is the coil pack a OEM part? If not get rid of it. How do you know it is good? I sounds to me also like you are not getting speak. Check your plug wires to make sure they don't have too much resistance.
    Was it making any strange noise before it died?

First post! Welcome to MA

11. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    BTW Mike, welcome to M/A

What part of the world are you writing from? Is your car a US car?

12. MiniMadMike

MiniMadMike New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for the warm welcome, what a friendly bunch!

First of all to answer the geographic question - I am posting from the UK, around 15 miles from Oxford actually!

In terms of the car, I'll try and give a bit more clarity on the situation as it stands:

- I have confirmed that the coil is good by replacing it with a known good coil from a friends car

- I have checked for a spark by holding one of the plugs to the engine mount and turning the engine over. The spark looked healthy. Is this an acceptable way of testing this?

- I had discounted the fuel filter on the basis that the fuel pressure remains at a consistent 55psi even when cranking - does this seem reasonable/logical?

- All four injectors actuate on the first turn of the key once the fuel pump had primed. However if I continue to turn the engine over on the starter motor there is no more injection. Does this sound normal? I imagined they would continue injecting as the engine is turned??

- The coil is OEM

- There were no strange noises when it died, the engine speed fluctuated for a couple of seconds and then it stopped. Just like running out of fuel I think.

I will check compression tomorrow as suggested.

It has been suggested to me that the timing could have jumped a tooth. Is this a known phenomenon on these engines?

Any more help would be most welcome, particularly concerning the injection behaviour!

Mike

13. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Having just installed a new motor I can say that your injectors should keep firing as you crank. I had to crank the motor with the plugs out before first start up to prime the oil and ensure that the bearings were lubricated. I forgot to pull the fuel pump fuse and as I was cranking I could see fuel misting out of the holes and hear the injectors spraying. Did you check this ground wire to make sure both sides are connected?

[​IMG]

14. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Batrugger, I don't think it would crank if that ground cable was disconnected or broken.....

I'm interested to see what the compression test shows....

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I alos thought about the timing but I believe the chain would have to be lose for that to happen. you could pull the cam cover off and check the chain.
    Also a long shot but how old is the battery? If its old take it and have it tested. Minis do odd thinks with old battery.

16. MiniMadMike

MiniMadMike New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.
    @Batrugger - interesting information on the injector behaviour in your car, this is definitely quite different to the behaviour of mine. I wondered if was some kind of anti-flooding mechanism but it doesnt seem logical to me, to not supply fuel at all when cranking after only one round of injection.

Will post compression test results when I do it later.

The battery is old, not sure how old but not new! I dont think it is the original though. It had more or less run flat from the number of times I tried to start the car, so I got another car and connected it up to effectively jump start it. However, if you say they do weird things with old batteries, is it possible this could still be a cause even with another car jumping it?

I have inspected the timinig chain already and it looks normal, chain doesn't appear loose or anything.

So list of jobs as it stands:

- Compression test
    - Measure voltage drop on injectors to see if the ECU is actuating them when cranking
    - Close inspection of chain drive/timing
    - Squirt easy start in the bores and see if there's any sign of life
    - Check earths

Any other suggestions?

Cheers :)

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I'm not sure it will fix it but get a new battery. Over the years we have seen all sorts of odd problems from bad batteries. Both BMW and Mini are very reliant on the correct power.

If the battery is near the end of its life replace it.

18. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I've seen Minis that would not start on a jump battery when the car battery was dead, I agree - get a new battery on principle, but I doubt that's the problem here.

However, take a close look at your crank pulley and make sure the rubber center hasn't come undone too....cause for a dead battery, tho you would get other warnings, like low power, no A/C, overheating and the alt light on if its bad enough.

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Forgot about the crank pulley.

20. MiniMadMike

MiniMadMike New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys. Thanks for all your help so far. Bit more progress yesterday - I carried out a compression test, cylinder 1 was good with around 150psi, but cylinders 2, 3 and 4 all have zero compression.

Three cylinders having no compression sounds a lot like my timing chain has jumped a tooth - I wasnt able to check the timing marks last night but at the weekend i will do this. If it was a head gasket, for 3 cylinders to have no compression I imagine it would have to be a pretty catastrophic failure and I would have imagined I'd have experienced smoke/steam and seen evidence of oil in coolant etc. Seem logical?

As I say I will check timing etc at the weekend and report back after that :)