2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Specific Turbo Boosting Problem.....

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by jackandjill4, Oct 7, 2015.

1. jackandjill4

jackandjill4 New Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    2007 Mini Cooper S – 1.6 Liter Turbo(R56) – 122,000 Miles – 90K Timing Belt Replacement – New Clutch
    So here is the situation. I have read a couple 100 pages on the forums about the Yellow Engine Light (Limp Mode) that returns no codes when checked but can tell you I have a definite problem.
    I have checked the items that people have been telling me to check or checking what others say will fix the problem but I have not had anyone document the same exact behavior that I have been seeing.
    I can tell you that after this indicator light comes on the car is still very drivable even at high way speeds just very slow to get their like the turbo is no longer functioning.

So here is what happens (like clockwork):
    1) Limp Mode is off (no yellow engine).
    2) Get on the highway not being aggressive (5th Gear – 3K RPM - ~ 65MPH) (no yellow)
    3) Get aggressive run to (6K RPM ~100 MPH) (no yellow)
    4) Ease back down slowly to (3K RPM - ~ 65MPH) (no yellow)
    5) Repeat steps(3 + 4) 2 more times (no yellow)
    6) Get aggressive run to (6K RPM ~100 MPH) (no yellow)
    7) Quickly release the gas petal, engine drops to ~4K (YELLOW LIGHT COMES ON)
    8) Accelerate, SLOWLY, back to (6K RPM ~100 MPH) (YELLOW - Turbo No Working)
    9) Wait a while, the light will go out(on same drive) (The process above can be repeated with same results)

Any clues as to what the problem may be, it feels like a Bleeder Value (or the type of device that accomplishes this). Any suggestions would be help followed and feedback provided for everyone to see.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

With that sort of mileage, have you looked to see if there a carbon buildup on the valves?

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Sounds to me like the same issues that Jeff (05R50) had a year or so ago. He ended up replacing a turbo and getting the intake valves walnut blasted. PM him to get the details.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    #4 Metalman, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Based on the milage... Three guestimates....

Strong guess...
    I'm guessing it's the turbo waste gate valve that's inside the hot side of the turbo not completely sealing all the time. There are cases where the "flapper" valve is worn out and doesn't always seat properly.... The fix is a new turbo... Here is the video of the defective waste gate not sealing properly...
    https://vimeo.com/67482352

Strong to weak guess #1...
    Carbon buildup to the point where the turbo forces enough through the intake "buildup", but then leans out when the boost drops... Fix is a "Walnut Blast"...

Weak guess #2...
    Torn BOV, known issue... Fix with oem part is about $50 for parts, not hard to do yourself.
    [​IMG]
    go here for description of issues... http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-s/21801-lost-power-autocrossing-today.html

5. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    What code are you getting? What are you using to read the code? Does it always happen on the highway? I had a similar issue and it after about 8 months of trouble shooting it turned out to be a bad wastegate bushing and had to replace the turbo.

6. David Mc

David Mc New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
  7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  8. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    The first place to start would be to scan the car with a proprietary MINI scan tool (or equivalent). The engine diagnostic trouble codes will give you a big hint on where to start.

9. David Mc

David Mc New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, my deduction is based on the conditions leading to the fault from the OP - specifically at item 6, car is driven at full boost, followed by rapid throttle release (which should cause the DV/BOV to open. After it has opened, item 7 to 9 indicates to me that it is not closing properly until all of the pressure in the induction system is released, which is pretty symptomatic of a DV/BOV failure.

10. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I can say in my situation, it seems to be the turbo. Replaced diverter valve, performed walnut shell blast, and adjusted the tune I have (concern was happening even before the tune, but I thought what the hell give it a try.)

I haven't finished the turbo replacement (working on a rebuild right now) so I can't say its the turbo for sure, but I've done everything else already.

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    My Gen 1 SC is still running great after 11 years of hard use. (Just saying) :p:rolleyes:

12. Grizld700

Feb 2, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    My supercharger was making weird noises along with my transmission on my R53 so I got rid of it.... just sayin' :drool:

That being said it was a 2003 and not a '05-'06.... :D

13. Rainman768

Rainman768 Active Member

May 3, 2012
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Dumb question -- would it be harmful to continue driving with either a torn diverter valve or wasted waste gate?

Our clubby went to zero boost today on the way home from work. In addition to no boost, at 70 MPH it had slight hesitations in acceleration. Under that speed, acceleration was smooth but slow.

We'll switch to the coupe for the daily driver, for now, but if we need two MINIs I was wondering if it'd be a bad thing to drive the clubby.

14. Grizld700

Feb 2, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I would keep the driving to a minimum for safety sake (Not being able to safely maneuver the vehicle in a panic situation).

But short term you can drive it with basically no power.