2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Bye Bye Legal Disclaimer

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by David Mc, Oct 22, 2015.

1. David Mc

David Mc New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I really like our R56 Cooper S, but one thing that has annoyed me since we purchased the car a few months ago is the stupid legal disclaimer message that displays on the Menu screen as soon as you put the key in the ignition. Even more annoying is the fact that until you acknowledge the message by hitting the "Confirm" with the idrive button, you are stuck with only having the warning message displayed.

Well, I finally removed the source of my annoyance this morning by recoding the CAS unit not to display the legal disclaimer any more :wink:

Even though I have had the ability to do this since well before purchasing the car, I wonder why BMW & Mini feel that anyone who drives one of their cars should have to put up with this nonsense, especially when no similar disclaimer is displayed with other makes and models. It would be interesting to see the consensus, but I for one think that BMW/Mini should dump the Legal disclaimer message once and for all.

2. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Did not have a NAV in my 07, so never saw this msg. Not a problem for many I think.

On my 11 and 16, I don't see this either, was your MINI special?

:)

3. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Same with the NAV screen in the R50, R52, and R53. The warning stays until you press the button unless you have the disc to upgrade the firmware, or have the dealer do it for you. After the upgrade, it goes away after 10-20 seconds.

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    This is the same for all portable GPS systems.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I have a disclaim that anyone that rides with me must agree to or I will not move.:D

6. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    I get the same warning on my F56 when I start the car. I don't have Nav. Don't know if it'll time out on it's own because I always hit the button. I'll wait next time and see what happens.

7. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I've seen the disclaimer on my buddy's BRZ with nav. But my wife's Focus has nav I there isn't a disclaimer.

My Garmin has one that comes up if I have used it in a while. Maybe it's only once a day.

8. David Mc

David Mc New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The warning used to pop up on both my BMW E70 and R56 every time the car was started, which is the reason I have coded it out on both cars. I know a couple of Mercedes owners who didn't have this issue and even the warning on my neighbour's Toyota RAV times out and disappears after a few seconds.

9. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    OK, I am correcting myself, yes what you call the warning does indeed come on in my 11 with NAV and on my 16 with MINI Connect and the Garmin 65.

Ok, but I do not see what the problem is with this.... I just press the joy stick or click the screen, done and I'm happily motoring. :)

What .2 seconds.....

10. David Mc

David Mc New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It's just an annoyance - I would live with it if it timed out after say 3 seconds, but do you really think that requiring a physical confirmation has a point? If not, then it should not be required. The fact that it locks out everything else like radio controls, parking/reversing camera (BMW) etc., is just penalising owners who choose the nav option (since cars without nav don't display the message). If they insist on putting a legal disclaimer on cars with nav, then the disclaimer should only display when you opt to use the nav - not every time you start the car.
    It also begs the question as to why the owner can't simply opt not to display the message like you can with the DRL option choice, rather than making dealer or software intervention the only way to shut it off.

11. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I have seen it in a whole lot of cars. And yes, it is annoying.

As for the reason, that's pretty easy. We Americans like to sue each other. I'm sure Apple has been sued by some idiot who drove into a bridge abutment while texting at 60 mph on an iPhone. Likewise, I'm sure auto companies have been sued by people who drove into a bridge abutment while programming their NAV systems at 60 mph.

So, auto companies put in that disclaimer notice so their lawyers can go to court and say, "we told you not to do that" when someone drives into a bridge abutment while programming their NAV (or music playlist) at 60 mph.

CD

12. RubyTheRoadster

Apr 28, 2015
    Retail
    Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    On my 2015 R59 with nave it will disappear after a few seconds. usually by the time i buckle up and start the car the message has timed out.

13. David Mc

David Mc New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Apparently the message can be set to time out in the US. I wonder what would happen if someone ran up the back of a stopped car and sued the manufacturer on the basis that they were distracted by a warning message that told them to press a button to confirm that they had read it.....