1st Gen R53 Cooper S Cold Air Intake?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Newbie6, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    So I've tried searching on here using the search and seems nothing really comes up on the subject so I've been wanting to get one but don't really know a good brand? I've look at the Alta, AFE, K&N and a few others but what is a good brand to go with and get the best for our cars?

2. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    DDM Works, or just look at how they are made and build your own

3. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I didn't see the DDM works one but yea a friend of mine said we could probably just make one that would do the same thing but I just didn't know if there was a proven CAI

4. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    JCW with and upgraded conical filter will do the same. The system is already a CAI. The problem I have with DDM is the funnel sits above the engine and warms up. Now it won't really warm the air coming in that much, probably not at all, but its the principle for me. ECS also has there own intake. Its basically the JCW intake but carbon fiber. I looks great, but I'm not sure its worth the $$$.

5. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    A box with a cone filter that get the air from the cowl area. That's basically what the JCW is and it works well. Any other that takes air from inside the engine area is just feeding hot air not cold air.

6. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    #6 Qik, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    :beer

7. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Since this is in the 1st gen area, R56 solutions probably aren't appropriate.

The best solution is the JCW or Dinan airbox, because they insulate more effectively from engine bay temps than the metal boxes. Unless you want to completely cover the metal box in aerogel or something similarly effective.

I've run a JCW box with the Amsoil nano filter for years with great results. Both with the JCW flap intact, and more recently flapless.

Some 1st gen cars have a pronounced whistle at part throttle, that the JCW box masks via the flap. Mine did, I started with a Dinan box and switched to the JCW to get the flap and cure the whistle, when it was my daily driver. Now that it's a weekend and track car, I don't care how noisy it is. :)

8. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Der!... That's what happens when you don't pay attention :mad2:

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    We never tell people to do a search, it never works. Just ask away we don't mind helping.

10. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Ha ha well I guess no one told the new guy ha ha!!! But I ended up buying the AFE one and just gonna try it out just something that looks good in the engine bay

11. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    I run the JCW box as well. I've removed the flap so it gets maximum air flow all the time. It's a great design in my opinion, and particularly so here in California where the CARB restrictions provide for very little in the way of modification. It's an OEM part and the techs no nothing about what I've done to the internals...

12. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Yea I know all too well of the Cali restrictions my mustang is highly modified and with the supercharger and water meth kit and everything else I did I was like I should register this in South Dakota and I did that with every car I own now because we don't have nearly any car modification laws.

13. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I have the Madness filter with the cowl mod (bigger hole for more air into the box) and have had no issues with it whatsoever.

[​IMG]

14. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    that looks like the one that was in my car when I bought it. My son decided it would fit much better in his R53, because my M7 strut bar was interfering, so now I am back to stock...

Later this spring I will build a DIY intake, similar to the DDM Works unit with top cover to allow clearance for the strut bar, but wide open towards the cabin wall, where I already have a rather large hole for even more air flow. Big washable cone filter inside the box and all is good. Should't cost more than $100 in parts, most of that for the filter.

15. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Once I install the AFE kit I'll post some pics and give an update if I notice any changes with the sound and any performance, I realize when you do a cold air intake you aren't going to feel a major difference but I shall give anything I notice including install time!

16. Newbie6

Newbie6 Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well guys I have it installed, sorry about the dirty engine bay but I will say I have noticed a difference with it on. I can hear the supercharger whine when I get to higher rpm's, better throttle response and I don't know about gas mileage yet because I haven't been able to keep my foot out of it yet but I would say this is a as advertised!