1st Gen R53 Cooper S Best ODB2 Scanner?....

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by martinb, Feb 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. martinb

martinb New Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking for the best scanners for my 2006 JCW cabriolet (R52).

Wants:

1. Must be able to read AND reset error codes in the convertible top.
    2. Must be able to read AND reset all the usual drivetrain error codes.
    3. Wireless
    4. Compatible with iPhone 5S and iPad 3.

Nice to haves:

5. Realtime displays of RPM's, temps, etc., etc.....
    6. Ability to reprogram various convenience related functions.
    7. Have features for tracking speed, acceleration/braking forces, and other performance data for track use.

Thanks!

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    All I know about are the ones I've used.

I'm not familiar with any wireless units that will do what you're looking for.

The only things I'm sure will read and clear the various modules including the CVM are: AutoEnginuity, Bavarian Technic, and the BMW factory tool INPA. I have and use AutoEnginuity and INPA.

3. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    the thing about resetting codes - they usually come back unless you actually fix stuff. Those that aren't important codes clear themselves after an ignition cycle without a fancy reset tool. I never had to clear a code on my Mini and on my truck, those I cleared always came back until I did some surgery.

I use Torque for Android and it can do everything on your list except #4 and 6. Tons of add-ons available for track use, camera overlays, etc. I don't think they make an iOS version, but there are a number of similar apps out there. one quick search and I found this and there are a number of related apps.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcommand-obd-ii-gauge-dashboards/id321293183?mt=8

4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,718 / 0 / -0
    Though not applicable for series one cars, I thought I'd add this for completeness.

I have a Cobb Access Port for my series two MINI. Besides reprogramming the ECU, it also reads all the proprietary codes and works as a data logger.

I have occasionally had the odd code pop up and I've just deleted it with the AP. 99% of the time, they don't come back. It's a good tool.

5. martinb

martinb New Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well, I ordered the Schwaben tool. We'll see how it works. If it does, it's a bargain at 200 dollars. My local shop want's 125 dollars for a full scan of my car. So, factoring that in, I've only paid about 75 bucks for the Schwaben after I use it once.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-by-foxwell-parts/professional-bmw-mini-scan-tool/014020sch01a~scf/

In addition to confirming that it will read any convertible top error codes, they also said that I can alter those programmable convenience features that BMW/Mini has in their cars.

Now all I need is a good alternative to the stock header/flex coupler/CAT. Mine is dying and the best price I've found for a factory unit is just a bit over 1000 dollars through my shop (BR Racing in Los Gatos).

I know there are some aftermarket units available for about the same price, and they also have the threaded bosses for the sensors, but strictly speaking, they aren't California compliant. I wonder if they would work, though, as far as smog testing is concerned. It would be nice to get a new setup that passes smog testing AND gets me another 10 HP or so.

6. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I'm interested in hearing how that works out for you. I've looked at that tool, if it does everything they say it does, I'll buy one. Even though I have two PC-based BMW scan tools and three generic OBD scanners, it would be really nice to have a self-contained portable unit that could do everything...

7. martinb

martinb New Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'll let you know. It may arrive by this Friday. I hope.

8. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I am very interested to hear how you like this tool. The web site says they do all the things the expensive tools do. One interesting test might be to see if you can pulse the ABS unit. You need to do that to bleed the brakes correctly.

9. martinb

martinb New Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    (Post from thread about my top): Well, I got my Schwaben scan tool and, unfortunately, it did not show any error codes in the convertible top. Both control modules checked out fine. So, since I am hearing a click in the back when I press the top down or up button (likely the relay supplying current to the sunroof motor), I'm thinking that there's some break in the circuit between the relay and the sunroof motor. That's going to be the first thing I look at. I'll check for current at the connector when I press the button and will likely also jumper power to the sunroof motor directly from the battery. That way I'll know if the sunroof motor works. If no power to the motor, then I'll start tracing things back. It may be as simple as a broken wire like the one I found going to my rear hatch release. One would think that the wiring would hold up longer than that, but I do use the top a lot.

More info: The Schwaben tool looks to be well made and thought out. I haven't tried pulsing the ABS unit, but perhaps this weekend I'll try that. I did try activating the rear catches for the top and that worked just fine. And I tried activating the rear backup warning beeper just for the heck of it and it, too work fine. So it would seem that this scan tool has a fair amount of capability. If there are other things you'd like me to check for besides being able to activate the pump, let me know.

10. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967 / 6 / -5
    Sounds like a winner so far.

11. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    That does sound very, very good. Maybe ECS will put them on sale sometime...

12. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    now why would you want your car to sound like a UPS truck when backing up? :confused5: Pops and burbles are ample warning sound in my book.

13. Zuffen

Zuffen New Member

Feb 13, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    First post here,
    Would you know if this tool will clear the P2096 code? Long Term Fuel Trim settings. I know that the Bavarian Technik will do it but have not pulled the trigger on that tool as it requires a PC and works on one car/VIN only. I have a 2006 R53 JCW and need a reset to see if my "leak" has been corrected after replacing with new intercooler boots and valve cover breather tube. Thanks in advance.

14. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance the best MINI forum on the internet !!

15. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    Not sure but Welcome to MA!

16. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    FYI the BavTech tool will work on more then one car.

All you have to do is NOT register your VIN with the software. :ihih::idea::Thumbsup:

I have used mine BavTech Sw on at least 20+ MINI's.

17. Zuffen

Zuffen New Member

Feb 13, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Excellent tip Dave.O! Time to rethink the BavTech tool...:idea:

18. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Curious, if anyone has any updates on this one or if there are better ones. The reviews are "overall" strong, but there is one in particular which discussed the limited action on an E30 which is a similar generation to my 88M5.

The other one many folks mention is the BavTech ones:
    http://www.bavariantechnic.com/
    This seems nice, but won't go back to the 88 and doesn't work on 3rd Gen or newer Mini's.

Also looking at the BavAuto ones:
    https://www.bavauto.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Code+Reader

I would prefer a stand alone compared to needing to have it hook to a PC/laptop. That said, I can deal with that if it makes more sense.

Yes, I realize my Dashcommand (or other similar solutions) can pull and reset many of the codes. I've already used it for that. I'm looking at some of the more advanced features like being able to run the test of certain functions, injector tuning etc.

Thoughts? Am I missing one?

19. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I'd hook up the laptop, but to get there you need to jump through a lot of R53 software gotchas to get that all working. Plus, it's poorly written software from way back, so even when it's working, the "how to use it part" isn't really that well documented.

Before I got my laptop working, I bought a scan tool that can do things like reset airbag codes and other silly stuff, but I found it clumsy. It did the job, but it took a lot of button pushing.

https://www.amazon.com/Creator-C310-Diagnostic-Scanner-Airbag/dp/B071R5RD57

20. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Are you referring to the BavTech unit? I.e. older software and a little confusing?