2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Sunroof Screen

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by wsdivall, May 25, 2016.

1. wsdivall

wsdivall Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Sales
    Houston
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    The Sunroof Screen on my '07 R56 MCS slowly slides open while driving. It won't stay shut.

Has anyone experienced this?

Does anyone have any idea how to fix it from opening every time I drive?

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I don't know! A little piece of gum, maybe?

I closed mine once, when I first got the car.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Try a little tab of Velcro in the latch and the sun screen if the latch is fubared.

4. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I have the same car, same year. My screen used to sometimes slide open, but not very often. Now, it sags a little. My MINI service advisor tells me it is common, and there really isn't much you can do about it, other than replacing it.

Maybe you can make some kind of wedge to push into the gap at the front of the screen to keep it from moving. I use free paint paddles from Lowe's for shims and wedges. With all the money I have spent there, I figure they owe me some free paddles... at least.

BTW, I had my double sunroof tinted in limo-tint to deal with the Texas sun. That screen just doesn't cut it in Texas.

CD

5. wsdivall

wsdivall Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Sales
    Houston
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Now that's any idea. I am in Houston and limo tinting will probably do the trick.

6. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    I was considering tinting my car's sunroof years ago but the tinting place said they would not do it. Something about a glass sunroof with window film changing the heat dissipation characteristics that could lead to it cracking. I have no idea if that was just superstition or a real concern.

7. wsdivall

wsdivall Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Sales
    Houston
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    That's interesting. Thanks for sharing. Now to google to research since I know nothing about tinting. I found the following link: http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php/topic/35004-will-tinting-my-sunroof-cause-the-glass-to-crack/

As usually, opinions both directions.

One comment from the link: "I'm told that a tinted sunroof does not properly allow the heat to transfer back out. With the shade pulled closed, the heat from the sun travels down through the glass, hits the shade and is normally reflected back out...to some degree at least. But with a layer of tint in place, the heat is trapped, thus causing the glass to crack/break."

If this is true, and we have a screen instead of a traditional hard sun-cover, would it allow the heat to go through and not get stuck?

Another comment was they wouldn't go darker than 35%. If that's true, then I wouldn't want to do it. I want to go super dark. Or perhaps a silver tint to reflect the heat. My MCS is gray.

8. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    I have a sunroof cover on my R50. It is perforated and still allows some sunlight to pass through, so I still need to wear a hat when driving the car. If you do not want the sun to peek thru, I'd suggest putting on an opaque cover...don't know if this helps your case or not, but it certainly helped me when I was getting too much sun thru the sunroof and the sunscreen was not helping at all..

9. wsdivall

wsdivall Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Sales
    Houston
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I originally started the thread trying to figure out how to keep my perforated sunroof cover closed (which I still haven't figured out a good way), but it's morphed into keep the Texas heat out... which I'm also interested in.

10. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Me too. Personally, I don't ever want an another car with a sunroof - they just aren't worthwhile.

I've owned three real sports car convertibles and loved them - but in comparison a sunroof really doesn't provide 5% of what putting a convertible down does.

11. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    The guy who did my tint told me the same thing. He did the job, but warned me the sunroof "could" shatter under the right conditions.

That was three years ago, and no problems, so far.

CD

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    All the stuff about sunroof window tint is BS.

I have had mine Limo tinted for 8 + years with no issues and I keep the shade closed. When I drove to my office everyday I parked by a white wall on a sealed parking lot facing the sun all day and never had an issue.

13. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    I already told you about the perforated sunroof cover on my R50. I also have an R53 with a sunroof and I did not want to put another perforated cover on so I found a place that sells one that is black with a design. The design goes all the way thru [I can see it on the outside and in reverse on the inside] and shows the black, too. I'm QUITE happy with it, but now I have a terrible problem...what do I do with all these caps? :devil::lol:

14. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Like Dave O we have the sunroof on Babs clubster tinted dark. No problems at all & the car lives outside most of the time.

15. caseydog

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Getting back to the OP, have you tried the wedge idea? I looked at my shade, and between the shade frame and the trim around the sunroof there is a gap. If you were to wedge something into that gap, it might keep the shade from sliding back.

CD

16. wsdivall

wsdivall Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Sales
    Houston
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hahaha....

... do you mind sharing what company and brand for your shade? I would like to look into it.

17. wsdivall

wsdivall Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Sales
    Houston
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to play around with a couple different wedge ideas. I think that's the way to go (that along with the limo tent). I'm going to try and find some type of black rubber wedge (something that won't scratch or look obvious) that I can easily take in and out when I do use the sunroof.

18. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0

19. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010