1st Gen R53 Cooper S Gauges died, now car wont start. 02 R53.

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by slipmagt, Jun 7, 2016.

1. slipmagt

slipmagt Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    2 weeks ago I installed the SP meth controller with the Alta boost gauge instructions, to the 12V switched on the column. Yesterday while driving my tach and speedometer both died, as well as the power to my HVAC and headlights.
    • Nothing works on the tach except the turn signal light. I can still use cruise control but the light doesnt function.
    • The speedometer shows my airbag warning light, but doesnt show that my speed sensors arent working. It shows milage, but its not counting anymore.
    • Headlights/foglights dont work except I can activate the high beams by holding the stalk.
    • I recently replaced the front 2 speed sensors, and the warning light went away for 3 days.
    • I checked every connection on the meth injection and have found no faults. I then disconnected power to the system.
    • I have checked every relevant fuse in the cab, and in the engine bay.
    • I have removed and cleaned the ignition switch.
    • When starting the car the tack will climb to 2,000 then drop back to 0. The speedometer doesnt not move from 0. None of the lights other than the airbag warning function at any time.
    • AFAIK everything else is functional.
    • I removed the tach and that did not solve the problem.
    • The BCM is dry as a bone.
    • All the pins on the ABS are clean and shiny.
    • Im getting a CEL code of p1612, but I cant find much info about that.

Now the car wont start at all, but while its trying to turn over everything works. The AC lights up, fuel and temp gauges function.

2. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    MINIs do weird things when the battery is on it's way out. Is yours in good shape?

3. slipmagt

slipmagt Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Its like 2 months old. I had it on a battery tender lastnight just to be safe. It hasnt made any difference.

4. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    I bet that you meth kit is injecting bad data onto the cannbus....or otherwise interupting the data flow...
    Net result is the cars network failed...so nothing can talk to one another...
    How did you tap into the cars power, and get the i to for the meth kit to run?
    Bet either the kit is junk or some of your handiwork caused an issue...not saying you messed it up, but a bad ground might cause a ground loop or you tapped the wrong wire, and messed up the network.

5. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    And I'm guessing that based on the info about the cannbus errors you have on the other board ....
    Folks have had similar issues when IPOD adaptors have failed..... everything suddenly worked fine when it was unplugged.

6. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Check battery terminals and ground straps.

7. slipmagt

slipmagt Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I checked through the meth install and everything was good. Nothing shorting, nothing broken. Grounds are all still solid. I have since disconnected power to the setup.

8. slipmagt

slipmagt Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  9. slipmagt

slipmagt Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I know the one on the passenger side motor mount is solid. Any I should look for specifically?

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    P1612- Serial Communication Link Instrument Pack

Something in the gauge cluster is shorting most likely.

11. slipmagt

slipmagt Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ive seen others say they were having similar issues and disconnecting the tach made the speedo work. I pulled mine real fast without any effect. Guess I need to pull out the speedo next.:mad2:

12. slipmagt

slipmagt Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I can no longer connect to the OBDII to see if I have any other codes. I havent done anything that should have affected that.

Edit: I should clarify, I am able to connect to the obdII reader, but it cannot connect to the ECU it says. It is receiving power.

13. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried disconnecting your battery for 30 minutes and then reconnecting????

14. slipmagt

slipmagt Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have reset the ecu through the controls twice.

15. slipmagt

slipmagt Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I just pulled it. Then proceeded to close the hatch. I have an 02 so no emergency pull to open it again. Electric only.

16. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    #16 ZippyNH, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    If you followed the directions from alta for the boost gauge...you tapped the wiring behind the odb2 connector...that's is crap directions...check the wiring there...think something got pinched...or maybe tapped the wrong wire?! Then check the suggested ground bolt they suggested...when I added a item...I added a screw to the firewall...the ones they suggested had crap for continuity with a voltmeter. Check both....and me...I'd use a fuse tap, and fix the wire you chopped into by the odb2 plug...
    Remember....it just alta-works....lol...sorry but they don't have a great reputation for some stuff.

17. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Just add power to the underhood jumper...will power the stuff right up...or you can fold the seats down....
    The emergency cable was added to most cars that passed through a dealers by 2005.....guess some dealers skipped it...sucks...make me happy how good of a dealer I had.

18. slipmagt

slipmagt Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I took my rear seats out so I can just climb back in there. It had no effect.

Both the driver-side and passenger-side kick panels and assorted nonsense is all dry and clean.

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    He chopped his wife!!!:eek:

20. slipmagt

slipmagt Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Still not having any luck. Ive take the speedo and the tach out and gone through them. Ive also cleaned the connector I tapped into, it was a bit dirty. As well as the connector that is directly under the fuse box. All with no luck.