2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Lower engine mount question. Pics included

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Guapish_Fliver, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can someone please crawl under their car and look at their engine mount for me? I know it's a lot to ask but I'm a bit confused...

I was under the car and noticed the bolt on my lower mount has no nut on the other side? Maybe wondering if the engine builder forgot this...

Attached Files:

2. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Look at the thread with no nut...

Attached Files:

3. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #3 Guapish_Fliver, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Last pic. Anything missing?

Attached Files:

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  5. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Awesome thanks.

I'm getting a bit of flex and don't have much clearance with the exhaust.

Has anyone used BSH mounts?

Is there anything stiffer or solid?

I don't care about NVH anymore, I kind of ruined the comfort level of the car anyway...

6. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    I sell Vibra-Technics mounts that prevent the motor from moving in a very effective way.
    my website is www.greeneperformance.com

7. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I scoped it out but it costs more than BSH and looks like it's pretty much the same thing. (Unless you can give me a discount, wink wink)

Are there any benefits or reasons that reflect the increased cost for the vibra technics?

8. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Looks don't count when it comes to lower engine mounts, it's all about the materials. I started with BSH but had no change to the engine "rolling" under load. Switched to Colins version and noticed significant improvement. Also noticed an even rougher ride, and center mirror vibration.

If you still want a BSH version, let me know --- I can probably still find mine somewhere in my garage. Make me an offer I can't refuse?

9. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #9 Guapish_Fliver, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    OBW, did you replace all 3 mounts or just the lower mount? (#5 in the diagram).

I'll take your word for it that the BSH mounts are useless.

I don't mind spending extra money on something if I understand what makes it better... Maybe the vibra technics are a higher density rubber?

I was considering these powerflex poly insert things I'm just not quite sure how the install goes:

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=PFF5-207&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=PFF5-207-MINICOOPER-2011-505564&gclid=Cj0KEQjw17i7BRC7toz5g5DM0tsBEiQAIt7nLAL5MF_AZGYJhGV2RFrVoegcojWwzWRFCrQWfosCHAYaAk738P8HAQ

I know that poly is stiff as hell, but those insert things look pretty chintsy idk... Probably another waste of money.

The exhaust has been "massaged" as much as possible it's just really tight in there.

When you say "significant improvement", are you still getting a good bit of rolling or it stays pretty solid? I think anything would be an improvement over the OEM mounts right now as the engine was moving around so much I thought some thing was going south in there. lol :crazy:

10. clifforddward

clifforddward Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    It is a well documented and proven fix...Replace all three mounts with Vibra-Technics and your motor movement issues will be gone....that's what I did several years ago and never had problems with my aftermarket header and exhaust...without the Vibra-Technics mounts you'll continue to have engine movement and clearance issues.

11. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    #11 oldbrokenwind, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    I didn't realize the other mounts had aftermarket replacements available. I gotta research that. I only replaced the one --- #5.

Edit: Vibra-Technics web site doesn't list anything for our R56, only R53's. Colin shows all 3 for the R53, but only the #5 for R56. Note that Cliff is driving an R53.

Monitoring engine movement isn't easy --- gotta be under load to get the boost needed. Then you need a way to measure it. Only time I've seen this movement is during a dyno pull, and that was from a distance --- dyno operators wouldn't let me close enough, so I just watched.

During my different dyno pulls, I observed the engine "rolling" later in the RPM range --- like each new mount slowed down the effect. However, as clifforddward says, it still rolls all the way, just starting later.

12. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    At the current time we only offer the lower mount.
    the upper on the R56 has proven to be a much more robust and better thought out design than the mount that came on the R53. however we were beginning to look into doing something for the transmission end of the powertrain.