1st Gen R53 Cooper S Your Transmission Opinions Appreciated

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by newmar, Jun 28, 2016.

1. newmar

newmar New Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Retired aircraft mechanic
    Houston, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When searching for a used 05 or 06 R53, should I also consider the 6-speed auto? I really do not have a strong preference for one over the other, just kind of assumed I'd get a manual, but there are nice looking autos out there too. Would YOU consider the 6-speed auto? Thanks for your guidance!

2. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    No. If you can drive a stick get the manual.

3. newmar

newmar New Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My everyday driver is a Subaru Forester with 6-speed manual, an auto would be nice.

4. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    Are you replacing the Subaru with the MINI? If so I could understand the desire for an auto and you would be happy with it. If you are looking for a fun weekend car, manual is the way to go. My only auto MINI experience has been with R56 S and non S though. Left a lot to be desired.

5. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    I would only buy an auto if I had to commute daily through lots of stop and go traffic. Like an LA freeway.
    My father-in-law always drove sicks until they moved to LA

6. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    In a MINI a manual is the way to go.

7. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I'm with the manual forever crowd, unless in a city with a lot of stop-go traffic.

8. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    #8 wmwny, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    I drove a manual from age 16 to age 56, and stopped when my hip started hurting. At age 56, I bought my first "new" MINI...an auto and still have it, along with 2 2006 MCS automatics. I am 70 now. I don't discount what the manual lovers say, as I used to be one. Oh well...people age, unfortunately. I've modded and tracked my daily driver MCSa, have gone Dragon-slaying numerous times, as well as driven tons of twisty roads. I don't drive in the "D" mode, as I STILL prefer the paddles or the shifter. The automatics may not be manuals, but they are good enough for me and I've driven a lot over the years with BOTH types of transmissions.

Don't get me wrong...I can STILL drive a manual [the clutch pedal hurts, though], so I prefer the auto in the MCS now. It's a durable tranny.

9. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I also drove manual cars for a long time, but now automatic transmissions are simply superior to manual transmissions. They shift faster than anyone could shift a manual, they get better mileage and there is no clutch to wear out.

Modern autos are not the "slush boxes" of yesterday!

10. newmar

newmar New Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys, I too am getting a bit old and tired....and Houston has been known to have a little traffic from time to time. The Mini will just be for a hobby/recreation and no thoughts of parting with my Subaru. I will look for a manual, but if a nice MCS with auto comes along I will give it careful consideration.
    Many thanks for your opinions!

11. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    #11 BlimeyCabrio, Jun 28, 2016
    I was a die-hard MINI auto fan. But now that I have a manual, I wish I had bought that originally.

It's a myth that the auto doesn't have a clutch to wear out. In fact, it has multiple clutch packs, and they DO wear out if the car is driven hard. I know from personal experience, mine started failing at about 68k miles, I nursed it until about 150k miles with frequent fluid changes, until it failed completely. Rebuilds are iffy on these, and reman autos are quite expensive. I'd rather replace a clutch once in a while, now that I've dealt with both.

As has been said... if I sat in stop and go, bumper to bumper traffic for hours a day, or if I had a physical reason I couldn't clutch, I'd want an auto. Otherwise, manual.

12. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Most of the younger set want the manuals and so, they are the hardest to find with still decent miles. The automatics are easier to find and you can find them with few miles [I know, because I found my wife's present '06 MCSa with only 26k in 2013]. The guy at the lot said he had had the car since September [I bought it in late March for 10 grand] because even though it has an aero kit, it was still an automatic. It now has almost 63k...still bonestock, but worth every mile we have put on it!

13. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I have both. I have a 05 auto and a 06 JCW. I would not want to drive my stick everyday in Washington DC traffic. I live in one of the worst traffic places in the US. I would also say the auto is faster when you are just driving around not paying close attention. The MINI automatic is particularly good at keeping you in the correct gear and scooting through traffic is easier than with a stick. The auto is less physical and mental work.

14. minivette

minivette New Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Writes about cars and classic airplanes.
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I used to be a manuals only type of guy, but a year ago we bought a low mileage '06 MCS with the auto + paddle shifter. I am extremely happy with it. When I drive, I can play with the paddle shifter and when my wife drives, she can just push on the 'go' and 'stop' pedals (not at the same time, however).

If it really doesn't make a difference to you, just pick the car that's in the best condition and go have fun. :Thumbsup:

15. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    If you find a nice R53.... Get it.... Even if its an auto.... There's Fun and Funner.... The auto is still fun...
    You are the only one that needs to be happy with your purchase...
    If you find one, get the fluid and filter changed...:Thumbsup:

16. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    #16 ZippyNH, Jun 28, 2016
    My thoughts ....
    Auto MINI's are a bit slower....so be aware of that...it was never a well loved tranny, but in general it was ok...but it does have a few drawbacks....
    Bigger issue is....
    Getting a 10+ year old car with an auto tranny ...now a that's kinda ok with the typical ASIN tranny on a Toyota...
    But then add to the mix the MINI is usually driven AGGRESSIVELY and then add the mix that the tranny's were "sealed for life" ...many started fluid changes anyway.... but some did not.
    Another factor to consider is engine life....a bit of an oddball thing to consider but if I recall right, the auto car does not have an oil cooler....not 100% sure...but since syrnthic oils are good, and they are usually not tracked like the sticks...less of an issue...but a consideration.
    Imo the auto is a bit if a risk....but so is a clutch failure or worse on the 6 speed stick...lots of folks have lost the art of driving a stick...so the synchro's are sometimes gone cause of excessive speed shifting or miss shifts....
    So you need to ask....would I rather replace a $2000 clutch...often cars are sold cause large $$ are coming up ...and have a small chance that you might need to spend more, or do you want to take the chance of a bigger $$$ on the auto...let's face it...auto transmissions cost much more to fix...sure... you might only need a valve body (but most that were going to fail failed at middle/low miles from my understanding)...the the likelihood you might need to drop a remanufactured tranny in a 10+ year old sporty car is very high...

What would I buy? Hate to say...but it would have to be a very good price to inspire me to buy a used supercharged or turbo car that is sporty....
    I had a stick...liked it most of the time, except in traffic....replaced it with a car with a dsg as my driving needs went up...and now I am looking at a MINI with an auto...lol...a 3rd gen no-less (still trying to come to terms with the changes)...its not like MY old MINI...but might be enough of a mini fix...yes...the possible DSG tranny for this upcoming year would be nice, but out of my self-imposed $$ range.
    Yes....I need an auto...wife is done having a car in the household she can't drive from a practical standpoint...and I see her point...so I understood your postion to a point....
    Not sure what your situation is exactly....sounds like you can drive a stick, but would enjoy an auto....then it comes down to the $$ in the risk level...maybe getting a warrenty (something I HATE) could be an option to limit the risk, but the got-ya's imo make it a second risk .
    Good luck.... MINI ownership is a great ride ...both in cars and friendships.

Yes...I am a bit pessimistic on ownership of older cars....at 10+ years, a car is at the tail end of it life, so it is buyer beware.
    As said before....find a GOOD MINI you like, and buy it. You can deal with whatever comes up.

17. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Golly, I have 2 10 year old fogeys and one 13 year old senior. With proper care, I plan to keep them all until either I croak or their wheels fall off. :devil: Expenses be damned...full speed ahead! :ihih:

18. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I love my manual but it is really up to what you like. If it is just going to be a hobby car I would stick with a manual.

19. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    The Aisin Automatic in MINIs has an oil cooler, it is inside the transmission and has engine coolant running through it.

20. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    In 42+ years of car ownership I have never owned a car with an automatic transmission. And I plan to keep it that way.

On the other hand, I drove my MINI in in a little LA traffic for the first time just 3 weeks ago and it sucked big time. It might have sucked a just little less in an automatic car.