2nd Gen R56 Cooper S 2009 Clubman AC Trouble

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by J Free, Jul 1, 2016.

1. J Free

J Free Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Musician
    Walden, NY US and A
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    My compressor doesn't seem to kick on. I saw info on obd in the IHKA unit, it doesn't seem to apply to this one, same with under bonnet relay check for compressor clutch coil. I have an appt. at dealer next week, if I can sort any of this on my own I'd probably be a lot happier.
    I also noticed last night that when I turned the car off the cooling fan continued to run, as it sometimes does, but seemed much louder.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    #2 MCS02, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    It could be low on freon or the clutch could be bad. When my Mini did the same thing it was just the electromagnet for the AC clutch that was bad so I just changed that part. Your fan may be running in high mode.

Check to see if you are getting power to the wire that activates the magnet if it is getting power the magnet is probably bad. Also check that the system is charged properly. If it is to low the compressor will not come on. It also means you have a leak somewhere

3. J Free

J Free Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Musician
    Walden, NY US and A
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it's freon, was working great the day before. I'll try to check the power to magnet. Would the fan on high be connected to all this? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I don't think so. When you turn your AC on the fan should go to hi speed for additional cooling. If it is hot it may just need the cooling.My wife's 2014 runs on hi after being shut down, of course its been in the high 90's here. Turbos generate a lot of heat. If you have a way to check the system pressure I would do it. If you developed a leak it could lose it all pretty fast.

5. J Free

J Free Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Musician
    Walden, NY US and A
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Well, found the main culprit-glad I looked here. Very strange, almost looks like sabatoge. It's in a pretty protected spot and definitely nothing rubbing it. Might have been money wasted at the dealer if I didn't check. We'll see what happens with the fan now. cheers!

Attached Files:

• ac.jpg
      ac.jpg
      File size:
      87 KB
      Views:
  6. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,977 / 6 / -5
    Kinda looks like a rodent chewed on it, but the bottom line is that you found and repaired it without a costly visit to the dealer. :Thumbsup:

7. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Very possible. I've been told that rodents chew wires for some kind of cheap thrills -- kind of like putting a 9V battery on your tongue. Low voltage wires give them a "buzz" in more ways than one, it seems.

Whatever the reason, mice and rats love to chew low voltage wires, like the ones in cars.

I remember one of my mechanic friends showing me a Lamborghini Murcielago that sat in a garage for monts at a time without being driven, It had a rat's nest in the frame. Wires were chewed all over the car.

It might be time to invest in some traps.

CD

8. cargusjoh

cargusjoh New Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wife had the same thing happen. Also took out the left horn. Rabiit had been in our garage the days before. Turns out insulation is made of soybean according to the tech. Yup, we took to dealer and paid the tax. On the good side, they fixed it and I could not.