2nd Gen R56 Cooper S What's with the trunk (boot) always being locked?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by dchernikoff, Jul 25, 2016.

1. dchernikoff

dchernikoff New Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Software Engineering Manager
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    On my (new to me) 2009 MCS Hatchback, the bloody boot always seems to be locked! When I unlock the car, I'd expect the boot to be unlocked as well. Both when I unlock with the remote and right when I leave the car. Why is there that release button on the hatch itself if the trunk is never unlocked??? And flipping the unlock switch on the lower switch console in the car doesn't seem to do it either.

I've looked in the settings menus on the Speedo display, but there isn't anything to set the boot unlock modes. Yeah, I know I can hold the trunk icon on the key down for two seconds to unlock it. But that's a pain. I unlocked the car, let me get into my own trunk!!!!

Am I doing something wrong or missing something obvious? Or is this just The Way It Is?

Thanks for any tips.

-Dan

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I know that is a PITA but you can have it coded to open all including the hatch. (I think)

Mine works the same way. It has to be some euro safety BS.

3. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, it is a pet peeve of mine, too. I have an 07 MCS.

Mine does unlock with the console switch, though. That's how I get into the boot when my fob is in the house.

CD

4. SheGo

SheGo Active Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it's frustrating but I just hit "unlock" on the drivers door (making sure ALL doors are unlocked). That usually works for me. Good luck!

5. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried two presses on the remote? On my car with driver unlock only, two presses unlocks the whole car and the console switch also unlocks the whole car.

I think on your car, you can change the setting yourself to unlock all with one press with the in car settings. On the 1st gen you need to hook it up to a computer with the MINI software to change the convenience settings.

6. dchernikoff

dchernikoff New Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone for the hints. I'll try the two-presses on the remote and see if that works. I could have sworn I did try the console switch and it didn't unlock the trunk. If by "unlock on the drivers door" you mean pulling the inside door handle twice to unlock/open it, that didn't unlock the trunk (which it really should by all rights).

How do you "have it coded to open all including the hatch"? Is that something the dealer does? Sounds like some magic I'm unaware of...

-Dan

7. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I think you can do it yourself since you have a Gen 2 car. The unlock on the drivers door is probably a 3rd gen thing. They moved stuff around to make them more conventional. No more door lock toggle or window switches in the center.

8. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, I think the newest MINIs have the door lock switches on the doors, like most cars do.

I have not found any way to change how the locks work on my R56 MCS by myself.

CD

9. Sig

Sig Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Me too - two clicks to unlock all and then the boot latch works.

10. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^ That's for a 3rd Gen so it no help to the OP.

In the R56 (2nd Gen) you have to have it "coded" to open all doors with one touch or the remote. I do not think you can do this in the car by yourself.

It is just like having someone code your car to have the windows & sunroof close when you hold down the lock button on the remote.

I have my 2005 R53 set up to do all these functions that the dealer could not program but Mike at Helix could.

FYI - MINI Dealerships DO NOT have access to everything in your MINI as the software they use is restricted by big brother BMW.

12. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    The PDF from rkw is for a 2009 MINI Hardtop, so it is correct for the OP...

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Oh I forgot how ugly the inside was then. :lol:

I saw door controls and thought 3rd Gen, my bad.

14. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I use my phone to code the locks using the Carly BMW app. I've done so for many local MINI's here as well. Very handy App to have.

15. dchernikoff

dchernikoff New Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually I did read the manual, cover to cover. I'm weird that way. But thanks for the link! It says nothing about programming the tailgate, unfortunately. Plus I sat down with the manual and went thru all the settings in the car, and there are several selections shown in the manual that my car just doesn't have :-( -- such as getting it to beep when you lock the car with the remote. My SET selections in the car just doesn't have those two settings for some reason.

Where can I get the BMW app that lets me set up things? Is that done thru the OBDII port? I'm excited about that...

My son took the Mini last night on his date, so I haven't had a chance to try out the things suggested yet. :-(

Thanks all.

-Dan

16. dchernikoff

dchernikoff New Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where do you get this app? Does it work thru the OBD port?

-Dan

17. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    But it does. Page 20 step 8 describes the options for the unlock button. The second option causes a single press to "unlock the entire vehicle" (which includes both doors, tailgate, and fuel door).

18. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Yep. Two presses unlocks everything including the boot.

:postcount:

19. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    At noon today I went out and pressed the unlock twice and then pressed the boot button on the key fob and the rear boot unlocked...

Mine's a 2009 R56 and I haven't had any reprogramming done to it....

And mine has the R56 "not ugly" - beautiful interior also.....:D

20. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0