2nd Gen R56 Cooper S CEL On - OBDII says P1497 & P2188

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by CooperSGB, Aug 1, 2016.

1. CooperSGB

CooperSGB New Member

Jun 25, 2011
    College Student, Business Owner, Photographer, MIN
    Reno, NV
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2009 Cooper S Hardtop with Auto trans. The car has about 115k miles; nearly all HWY miles. Car has never been tracked (although I enjoy the occasional canyon carving session every now and then). The Check Engine Light came up during normal highway driving. About 30 minutes, and ~15 miles later, the engine symbol that is half black, half yellow for "Full Engine Power Not Available" came up. I popped into O'Riley Auto Parts to have a quick scan and the following codes came up:

P1497: Downstream Throttle Air Leak

P2188: System Too Rich At Idle

The car often has dramatic power loss from take off and will not build any boost. It literally feels like I'm towing a trailer every time I try to enter a freeway onramp. It doesn't happen on every take off, but it does happen at a rate that is unsettling to me. The certified MINI dealership here is a load of ****, from my extensive experience with them, and I refuse to take my car to them. I have done my research online and on several other MINI forums, butI wanted to post my scenario on this forum hoping for feedback. The independent shop (they specialize in MINIs) I normally take my car to for service is going to look over it on Thursday morning. Do these two codes possibly go hand-in-hand? I have seen several posts from others saying that it took NUMEROUS attempts to fix both of these problems separately, but I have yet to find an instance where both were occurring simultaneously. Could fixing one be the solution to the others? What am I looking at, approximately, for repair costs from those that have had either (or both, preferably) completed with success? Unfortunately, I am not the least bit mechanically inclined, so I do not feel comfortable doing any of the work my self unless the solution really is simple enough to try.

Thank you in advance,
    -Gil

2. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #2 Guapish_Fliver, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    I think they are related. An air leak would cause fuel air ratio issues.

Check all your plumbing from the compressor side of the turbo, to intercooler, to throttle body... Could also be intake gasket. Make sure everything is tight. That would be easy enough to do yourself.

I'm curious what exactly "downstream" means, I'm sure someone will know.

Are you in limp mode?

3. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Downstream Throttle Air Leak means the air leak is between the throttle and the engine.

4. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Intake manifold gasket?