1st Gen R53 Cooper S Alignment issue

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Razone23, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Razone23

Razone23 Active Member

Nov 3, 2013
    technical support
    nothern CT
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    So while driving, I felt a strange shift to my surprise I found that my rear left tire had worn down to nothing. Now I'm running my last Rock Flats as known to Dave O. So some time soon I will be running on Michelin SS tires. But not before I get this alignment crap sorted out right. I replaced shocks and shock mounts along with all the good stuff that goes with it. Except I only replaced the rear lower ajustable control arms not the upper. Was I suppose to replace upper also ? And this is why my tire got dogged out in under 5 months ? [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I only have lower adjustable control arms. You can put uppers on also for more adjustable but it is not needed. Check and make sure the upper fixed arms are not in need of replacing, and take it to a alignment shop that knows what they are doing.

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    There are quite a few "tricks" to getting the alignment just right on these, and in my experience the dealer is the best place to do that......at least it has been for me till I got access to a modern alignment rack with the frickin lasers!

Now I do my own, but there are still a lot of steps involved, it's not just a "toe and go".

As to this tire wear, did you have the alignment done after you changed those lower control arms? BTW, I hope you greased the threads on those, they're notorious for corroding and not being moveable after they've been on a while.

4. Razone23

Razone23 Active Member

Nov 3, 2013
    technical support
    nothern CT
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0

I read somewhere alignment should be done with a full tank of gas and someone sitting on the driver side, when I got the alignment done for the first time it was due to worn down FCA bushings. The inside of my front tires got chewed up in under 6 months. But my rear tires wore evenly and if this makes sense I had them minimize rear camber as much. I then had a second alignment check done and it seem ok.

5. Razone23

Razone23 Active Member

Nov 3, 2013
    technical support
    nothern CT
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0

Going to inspect them . Just might replace them also. Thinking about driving to Helix and have them work on the alignment and anything else needed

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I am lucky I have a great shop that does my alignment. I go with a full tank of gas and sit in the car when its being done. The guy that does them has been doing it for years and years. He takes his time till he gets it spot on. He is use to doing costume alignments for guys that do track days and autocross.

I think the full tank of gas is correct but Minidave would be a better person to answer that one.

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    According to the Hunter machine, you put weight in the rear and both front seats. Then you have to check ride height to make sure it's correct before you even touch the adjustments.

In the rear, if you don't have adjustable arms, sometimes you can loosen the subframe and shift it over a bit to correct a camber imbalance issue....usually that happens after someone has installed their own rear sway bar.....and the subframe got out of place in doing so.

You can also ease a thrust line issue that way too.

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    The run flats are known as "Run Rocks". Good luck with your car.

9. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Next time you're under the car hit that rust with some rust reverser spray. It's not perfect but it helps.