2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Mini Down 3 Months Now - Random Spark on 2,3 - No Spark 1,4

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by 2005Deucei, Apr 22, 2017.

1. 2005Deucei

2005Deucei New Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I bought a used 2009 Mini Cooper S hatchback a little over a year ago. To provide some background, within the first three months, my timing chain broke, high pressure fuel pump went out, in-tank fuel pump went out, blew a head gasket, and had to replace the crank position sensor. Good thing I had the extended warranty which I never buy... fast forward to January, I was driving down the freeway and all the sudden the car just died. Had it towed to the dealer. Dealer said bad brakes, bad clutch, and that that the DME was shot. I asked how they knew this and they said that a code was thrown having to do with a bad driver for ground. I was told that I could only get a DME from the dealer and that it with the clutch and brakes would be $6,800. I then had it towed to an independent BMW shop. He said the same thing. Bad DME. I had it towed to the house and started troubleshooting. Found that only cylinders two and three have spark. No matter what, one and four will not fire. I have swapped out coils, bought new coils, bought new plugs to no avail. Had the car towed back to mini and grudgingly purchased the DME only to receive a call stating that the DME didn't fix it. They offered to have it towed to my house as they were out of options and they needed the room on the lot. So, here we are in April and still no spark on cylinders one and four.

I just finished wringing out the wire harness all the way back to the NEW DME and have good continuity everywhere. I'm lost guys and could really use some help. The two codes I'm getting is 2F8F and P15E8.

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to MA! :Thumbsup:

I cannot be of any help as all my MINIs are Gen 1s, but some other Gen 2 guys might be of help as there are a lot of them here.

Where are you located? You say you went to a BMW shop...is there a MINI shop there, too? Sounds fishy to me that a BMW shop could not locate the cause of your problems. Just saying. God luck finding a cure and getting back on the road soon. :fingerscrossed:

3. 2005Deucei

2005Deucei New Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for the lack of clarity. I live just north of Cincinnati Ohio. I first had the car towed to Cincinnati Mini. I then had it towed to an independent auto shop that primarily worked on BMW; Foreign Auto Exchange in Mason.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Sorry, I am no help on 2nd gen problems. Good luck.

Bump

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Since you are almost up to Columbus.... Well... Kinda

Give these guy's a call.... They know their stuff... Ask for Anson

http://www.bestmotorwerks.com/

6. M1N1

M1N1 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Tool and Die Maker
    NW Ohio
    Ratings:
    +330 / 0 / -0
    Or contact Chad @ Detroit Tuned. Straight shot up I75.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    This is no help but if I pay someone to fix something and its not done they must give me my money back or stick with it.

8. r34king

r34king Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Auto Tech NTB Capital BLVD
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    There is a small ring terminal at x64561 in the picture. Make sure that is tight. If not it will cause major havoc with the coils[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

9. 2005Deucei

2005Deucei New Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Found my cam timing to be 4 degrees off. Could this be enough to keep from starting ?

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    4 Deg. does not seem like much to me. But with all the computer control on these cars I don't know. Perhaps that 4 degrees puts it in a place that the system does not like so it will not start. I would set it correctly and see if it starts. The other question is how did it slip to start with. I am still floored that you payed a shop to fix it and they gave up! Thats pitiful!