2nd Gen R56 Cooper S What is the Best Bang for the Buck Mini Mod

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by AXO, Dec 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. AXO

AXO New Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Wellington, Florida
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #1 AXO, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
    I am a new 2008 MCS 6M Owner. :D I am now ready to do some mods. :devil: Unfortunately my money won't permit me to do all of them at once. :incazzato: I am curious as to the Best Bang for the Buck Mod. I am definately tinting my windows first. I need a batting order. :cryin:

My Mod wish list:
    Intercooler
    Springs
    Strut Brace
    CAI
    18" wheels (Wider offset)
    Boost Tubes
    Subwoofer
    Exhaust
    Sprint Boost

Thanks for your help in Advance AXO :Thumbsup:

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Track Days....

Not only does the MINI get faster since you become a better driver but everything you drive becomes faster since you have invested in yourself.

I know Track Days are not for all so...what are you looking for from the MINI, faster, better handling, louder, bling...

Having an idea of where you want to go makes it easier for us to help you get there.

3. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Intercooler, camber plates, and tires.

4. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Any MOD you can do yourself first without paying labor.

5. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Tires.

Mark

6. AXO

AXO New Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Wellington, Florida
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am looking for faster, better handling and looks. No Bling... I plan on some track days, Maybe a school as time permits.

7. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I would stay away from the 18 inch rims, they are heavier than most 17's, which would slow you down. You could go with some light 17's, faster, better handling, then you could also get a set of lowering springs, not to low, better handling and looks.

8. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
  9. david in germany

david in germany New Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    This is an opinion so take it as such.
    Stay away from the CAI if you are looking for performance. A CAI does give you a cool sound but the stock Mini intake is an already great product. RMW has pulled higher numbers on the dyno with stock airboxes than with CAIs. I eventually removed my CAI and boost tubes and now am running the stock box and tubes.
    (This part is a fact)
    I lost about 5-10mph on the autobahn with my Alta CAI and gained it back as soon as the stock gear was back on.
    Back to opinion now,
    Get the intercooler, get a good set of springs (not to lower it) like my TSW's, a good set of tires, downpipe back exhaust (keep the front cat), and a tune. you will then have your monies worth.

I drive mine hard on the autobahn and with the above items, your car will be a beast.

10. AXO

AXO New Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Wellington, Florida
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the great responses.

11. AXO

AXO New Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Wellington, Florida
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    David I have to agree with you about the CAI. I installed an AEM filter directly to my MAF sensor. I immediately noticed the Whooosh from the turbo, I also noticed a reduction in MPG and a little less throttle response. Ihave also read that the boost tubes are basically a cosmetic mod. I plan on re-installing my oem airbox this weekend.

12. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Interesting, as the CAI is an improvement on the R-56 justa, in both response and mpg, but then I don't have a turbo.

Jim

13. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    CAI on a NA car is completely different situation. On a NA car you most likely will see some improvements. Boosted cars a a different design and a large as the OEM intake is it would be hard to give it more are than it presently pulls.

I am not claiming to be the NA/boosted car knowledge master so please don't take it as such. I do however have a 1 hour, 1 way autobahn commute that allows me to test lots of different things in a semi controlled environment. :Thumbsup:

14. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Play to the MINI's strength's-HANDLING

15. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I just thought it was interesting how what works well for one does not for the other, which would be logical. I get myself in trouble sometimes by following a thread closely, only to realize later they were talking about an "S". :D

Jim

16. AXO

AXO New Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Wellington, Florida
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am pleased with my factory sport suspension option . I'm amazed at the Mini's handling. The handling was an instant deal maker for me when I bought my Mini! I thought about going with springs for a better stance. The Intercooler upgrade for performance will give me a great platform to add more options for more power. Plus it looks awesome peering out of the lower screen.

17. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Think the handling is good now? just wait. Minimally get the full blown rear sway bar. You will not be disappointed.

18. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Agree with TGS91. As good as the handling is now, you can open the friction circle WAY up with the right combination of mods - and it doesn't have to cost that much, either.

When I moved out to California four years ago, I hit the local tracks, and the usual comment was, "That thing is FAST. What did you do to the engine?" The answer was, basically nothing. It was all in the suspension, brakes and tires.

19. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    One Ball Mod, CAI, Sway Bar, Pulley, Tune

20. david in germany

Dec 15, 2010
    Ratings: