Help: grinding noise when accelerating hard.... - Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums   Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
Home Register Reviews Gallery M/A Store Library Support M/A Sponsors Clubs Garage Search Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums > 1st Generation MINI > Cooper S

» Ad Links
Advertisement

Advert

» Ad
Register now to remove the above ad
Sponsor

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Stage 1

Send a message via AIM to CheckersSD
Help: grinding noise when accelerating hard....

It first started last night. I was stopped at a light to get on the freeway. I accelerated hard and there was a slight grinding noise. I didn't think much of it at first. Well then it happened again this morning. It only happens when I am at a full stop and I accelerate hard. It doesn't happen in any other gears when I step on the gas and it doesn't happen when I accelerate gently from a complete stop.
The only recent changes I've done to my car is the 22mm rear sway and x-brace that I installed on Saturday. I did some spirited driving over the weekend and didn't notice anything. Can anyone help point me in a direction for what I should check? Thanks!

By the way I have the 6-speed auto.

2006 MCSa [MMC #597] Checkmate & Prem Pkgs, Anthracite, Chromeline Int, ArmRest, RearFog, HK
Mods: Magnaflow, M7 STB, OEM Alarm, Autodim Mirror/HL, R52 Brace, EPS, Elec Fold Mirrors, Marshall Gauges (BOOST/OP/WTMP), GP IC w/ DDM ICD, JCW CAI w/ Madness Filter, 22mm Rear Sway, TSW X-Brace, Angel Eyes, 17% WMW Pulley, NGK Plugs, Mynes Tune, Bosch 550cc Injectors, ATI Super Damper
Someday: Mynes V2 Header/Head/Cam

http://www.motorlogs.com/dashboard/3944/881
CheckersSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Stage 4

Where's the grinding coming from? If you can't hear it with the hood open and the car idling, I'd be inclined to look at the suspension rubbing. The car's going to lean back pretty hard when you get on the gas, so it may not necessarily be engine related.

2006 HB/W MCS with the heart of a race car
BThayer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Stage 1

To be honest I'm really not sure. There is no noise whatsoever when the car is idling. It is definitely when I accelerate hard. I will take a look at the rear suspension to make sure everything is okay. I torqued everything down to spec.
A second issue arose just now. I was leaving the car wash and was at the stop light and I noticed just a tab bit of steam. First was a little wisp that caught my eye. It came from the right side. Then I noticed another bit of steam that came from the hood scoop. My water temp gauge was normal as was the idiot temp gauge. I pulled over and opened the hood and there was a quite a bit was of water coming from the engine compartment, the passenger side which would be consistent with the first bit of steam I saw from the passenger side of the car. I think it was from the car wash because the water was cold and it wasn't oily, warm, nor was it colored so I am almost certain it wasn't fluid. I think they pressure washers they use just got a lot of water under the bonnet. Everything looked fine under the bonnet otherwise.
I really would like to figure out where the hell that grinding noise is coming. Ugh!

2006 MCSa [MMC #597] Checkmate & Prem Pkgs, Anthracite, Chromeline Int, ArmRest, RearFog, HK
Mods: Magnaflow, M7 STB, OEM Alarm, Autodim Mirror/HL, R52 Brace, EPS, Elec Fold Mirrors, Marshall Gauges (BOOST/OP/WTMP), GP IC w/ DDM ICD, JCW CAI w/ Madness Filter, 22mm Rear Sway, TSW X-Brace, Angel Eyes, 17% WMW Pulley, NGK Plugs, Mynes Tune, Bosch 550cc Injectors, ATI Super Damper

Old 03-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
Stage 5

Grab the engine (not running) and rock it front to back. You might have an engine mount that went bad. This may allow more engine rotation than normal during heavy acceleration.

Sitting in the third stall down, keeping extremely quiet while getting my M/A forum updates, and hoping management won't find me until after payday.
Metalman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Stage 1

I was kind of thinking that too. I have been reading about bad engine mounts and have been looking at replacing them with the TSW mounts from Way. When I rock the engine what am I looking for...easy to move, shouldn't move at all, a noise, etc?

Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Stage 1

The steam is normal with supercharged MINI's... Water gets into the engine bay through the scoop, and evaporates on various hot surfaces...

Many supercharged "S" owners learn to enjoy the "dragon's breath" coming from the scoop after a wash!

_Dave_
am0eba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Stage 1

that is kind of what I was thinking am0eba. The engine looked fine and the temps were normal. I like the "dragon's breath" though!

Old 03-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
Stage 3

For the steam, I got steam after getting a lot of water in the radiator vanes, such as when I spray the radiator to get bugs off. It took awhile after the wash for the engine to get hot enough to create steam.

For the grinding noise;
Trying to rock the engine by hand would be a good idea.
Your X-Brace might be rubbing on the exhaust.
Another place to check, is the rear sway bar and end links to make sure they are not rubbing on the trailing arm.
2006 MCS JCW GP #1405: Adj. Camber Plates, 19mm Rear Sway Bar, MM Front Lower Brace, TSW Engine Mount, Milltek Cat-Back, 13" Front BBK, 11.75" Rear BBK, 15mm Spacers, Wheel Studs, JCM Modified Intake, MM Filter, 2% ATI Pulley, Gauges
quikmni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
Stage 1

okay I will check those out. Thanks quikmni

Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
Stage 4

This is less likely but check your Catalytic converter. I had one come apart on me and I thought my engine had a terminal issue. Its gonna vary a little but it will tend to sound like small pebbles in a tin can (or a hollow grinding) and it will happen most noticeably under hard acceleration at first. It will get worse.

The other thing is that a cat-con shouldn't do that unless you are running rich. So, that is a sign of a problem in the engine.

Good luck.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2014 Mustang GT w/Track Package
Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote