ECU Reprogram - Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums   Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
Home Register Reviews Gallery M/A Store Library Support M/A Sponsors Clubs Garage Search Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums > 2nd Generation MINI > Cooper S

» Random Garage

Jaffa

FirstPole
» Ad Links
Advertisement

Advert

» Ad
Register now to remove the above ad
Sponsor

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Stage 0 - Stock

ECU Reprogram

Is there a way to make basic mods like CAI, intercooler, charge and discharge pipes then have a technician with proper tuning equipment take the dyno and logs, send them to BMW and get a tune back. He could then upload the specs to his tuner, and then flash my ECU? I'm assuming if this is possible then it's all warrantied. Has anyone done this or know about it?
Bravo Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Founder

Excuse me while fall over on the floor laughing...

... send them to BMW and get a tune back.

That has to be one of the funniest things I've heard about a MINI is years.

No offense but MINI has been known to now and then deny warranty coverage for tunes created by others, the also made it pretty darn hard for any of the tuners to access the ECU in the first place. When it comes to things like what you ask you'd have a better shot a walking on the moon yourself. BMW / MINI is so closed minded when it comes to anything beyond their offerings.

It is possible to do remote tuning but it will not be from BMW / MINI and the warranty will be till the taillights cross the threshold of the shop on the way out the door.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Stage 5

I think you will find BMW is not too receptive to any kind of change to the system that was EPA tested as it came down the assembly line.

Your best bet is to work with a custom tuner, with one of their packages that let you switch back to OEM tune. Warranty coverage, well that's iffy.....

Sitting in the third stall down, keeping extremely quiet while getting my M/A forum updates, and hoping management won't find me until after payday.
Metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
Stage 4

Pretty unlikely that a supercharged car would be in warranty now anyway, unless it's a convertible.
Minidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minidave View Post
Pretty unlikely that a supercharged car would be in warranty now anyway, unless it's a convertible.
If the car in question is Bebop, the MINI in the OP's Garage it would be a 2011 model.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Stage 0 - Stock

Are any of these "helpful" comments from personal experience or just cottage industry myths? And yes, I thought this was an open forum where "honest" questions could be asked and answered without prejudice. So, yes I am offended.

If you wanted to honestly correct me then send me a PM without a post. If you want to puff out your chest and play Pied Piper, then you've succeeded as I see others following the lead. Nice place to be from. Bye.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
Stage 4

If you want a tune, your options are aftermarket.

Alta offers the AccessPort (soon for 2011 models N18 engine), current for the 2007-2010 (2011 JCW) N14 engine.

RMW (Jan) offers tunes for the R56 and R56 JCW and the other turbo models. Not sure he is offering tunes for the N18 engine (2011 MCS, etc). Jan offers tunes loaded on the Dimsport tool or the Alta Access Port (he is a reseller, authorized tuner for Alta).

Many others offer tunes on the R56 N14 engine, Way, Clint and some others.

Don

Nothing comes via BMW other than the JCW tuning kit and I understand it may not be out for the 2011 N18 engine, yet (but soon).

Don't be offended, some of us have rabid humor and tend to look at the MINI world with squinty eyes.
Picasa Photos

Last edited by old81; 06-08-2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: offended not my intention.
old81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
Founder

It is from personal experience. Given how you could not even buy the JCW for the R53 without buying all the MINI parts for it on the R53 models. There were some people that did get them after putting in the injectors and aftermarket pulley, CAI and exhaust, but that was only because someone at a dealer did them a favor.

BMW and by extension MINI are known for playing hardball with tuned cars. They are not about to create a file just for you.

Besides, there are laws against this. Every auto maker is subject to certain rules set forth by various governmental agencies. Included are things such as emissions over a 100,000 period. The current OEM programming has been tested over 100's of thousands of miles by the car makers at great expense. They do not create on off's for people.

I guess I've been at this so long over so many cars that I've seen the way ECU programming has evolved. The car makers work harder and harder for the most part to make closed systems that will not be reprogrammed easily.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:58 AM   #9
Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Zulu View Post
Are any of these "helpful" comments from personal experience or just cottage industry myths? And yes, I thought this was an open forum where "honest" questions could be asked and answered without prejudice. So, yes I am offended.

If you wanted to honestly correct me then send me a PM without a post. If you want to puff out your chest and play Pied Piper, then you've succeeded as I see others following the lead. Nice place to be from. Bye.
I had the same take on that too BZ. It seemed to be a bit rough for the uninitiated. Shake it off. There are many, many good people (including the respondent in question) and tons useful information.

Cheers!
Chris
Michigan Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
Stage 0 - Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by old81 View Post
If you want a tune, your options are aftermarket.

Alta offers the AccessPort (soon for 2011 models N18 engine), current for the 2007-2010 (2011 JCW) N14 engine.

RMW (Jan) offers tunes for the R56 and R56 JCW and the other turbo models. Not sure he is offering tunes for the N18 engine (2011 MCS, etc). Jan offers tunes loaded on the Dimsport tool or the Alta Access Port (he is a reseller, authorized tuner for Alta).

Many others offer tunes on the R56 N14 engine, Way, Clint and some others.

Don

Nothing comes via BMW other than the JCW tuning kit and I understand it may not be out for the 2011 N18 engine, yet (but soon).

Don't be offended, some of us have rabid humor and tend to look at the MINI world with squinty eyes.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll be looking for the ALTA tuner.