2nd Gen R56 Cooper Car insists light is out, can't find any lights out.

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by amberback, Sep 13, 2011.

1. amberback

amberback Club Coordinator

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Ok. I need a little help.

Over the weekend my '10 R56 brought up a warning light and I looked it up in the manual (page 149) and it says "low-beam headlamp or fog lamp failed, have the lamps checked as soon as possible". So.... I checked all the lights and they all seem to be working fine! I can't figure out what it's issue is. Any ideas? Is there some way to reset this? Did I miss a light?

4 ways work, turn signals work, reverse lights work, brake lights work, driving lights work, head lights work (low and high) and all 4 of the lights on the fender trim work. I don't have the fog light option added. The only one I was questioning is the rear middle hatch light - it lights when i hit the brakes, but otherwise it isn't lit.

ps. I know I'm under warranty and can just take it to the dealer, but that means taking a 1/2 vacation day and driving an hour there and back. Totally not worth it if I can fix it easily myself.

If you were too lazy to read that...
    1. car says low-beam or fog lamp failed
    2. all lights appear to work fine
    3. :confused5::confused5:

2. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    check the bulbs for the license plate int he rear.

3. amberback

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    license plate light was also lit... unless there are multiple and only 1 is out?

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Check the plug for the rear fog light and make use it is all tucked up where it should be. Even though you don't have the option the plug is still there. Possibly the computer has started to see it and since there is no bulb it thinks it is out. Don't ask how I know this can happen. :wink:

Jim

5. amberback

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Interesting. I'll see if I can get my dad to take a look at that tonight. Cross your fingers for me!

6. Thunderball Kaboom

Thunderball Kaboom New Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I am the Coordinator for a program that provides h
    Live and play in Central Phoenix - Camelback corri
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This happened to me recently. It seemed everything came on as it was supposed to, and them I noticed that when the car was off and I unlocked the car, the pathway lighting came on - except for one of the parking lamps that are combined with the front fog lamps. Interestingly, the issue corrected itself a few days later.

7. amberback

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    My light has been on for almost a week now... haven't had time to check the fog lamp idea.

8. Thunderball Kaboom

Thunderball Kaboom New Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I am the Coordinator for a program that provides h
    Live and play in Central Phoenix - Camelback corri
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This happened to me recently. It seemed everything came on as it was supposed to, and them I noticed that when the car was parked and I unlocked the car, the pathway lighting came on - except for one of the parking lamps that are combined with the front fog lamps in the lower front bumper (they are in the "eyelid" of the lamp). I was not aware this light was in fact two lights. Interestingly, the issue corrected itself a few days later.

9. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I have the same fog light bulb burnt out on mine right now. I don't get the warning light that looks like the low-beam/fog light symbol though, I have the one that looks like a light bulb. :aureola:
    Maybe it is the lower bulb that is out on yours. Possibly with your running lights on, it hides the fact that the lower bulb is burnt out? Or it could be a similar story with the headlights - with the daytime running lights on it's hard to tell that the low beam is burned out.

10. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Now that is a good thought. :Thumbsup:

Jim

11. Blkjac40

Blkjac40 New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Insurance
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have this same problem it just popped up out of the blue. Mine looks like possible high beam malfunction according to the manual.

Is this something covered under warranty or will Mini force me to pay for something? Im scheduled to take it into my local dealer on Saturday for service.

12. amberback

Mar 26, 2010
    QA Analyst
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Should be covered. Everything but wear and tear items (like tires) are.

Haven't figured mine out either. Service manager said it could just be a software issue.... so 1/2 vacation day and to the dealer i go next Thursday. (this also means i get to go shopping!)

13. 10Zero

10Zero New Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Westminster CO
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You all might want to look at TSB SIM630110:Check Control Message but Lights are Operating Normally.

SIM630110.pdf

14. john171

john171 Club Coordinator

Jun 13, 2010
    Retired
    PA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There are 2 of them, I had the same problem and it took being in a very dark spot to realize the left one was out. Turned out the clips that hold the bulb had spread a bit, maybe bouncing over all those back country roads, or me shutting the boot hatch with a bit to much enthusiasm, but I pulled the bulb and squeezed the clips a bit, it has been working fine since.

15. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Me Too,Me Too! However, my driver's side front fog light really is out, so I'm replacing it.:Thumbsup:

Jason

16. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I had three out: One of the little parking lights in the wheel arch and both license plate bulbs. Gonna check the clips before buying two more bulbs. Austin roads aren't exactly smooth.

17. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: That's because the Hippies in charge down in Austin are too busy spending taxpayer money on 'Touchy Feely Stuff' and don't realize that our cars touch and feel the roads.:crazy: Austin, a suburb of San Francisco dead in the middle of Texas.:eek6::lol::Thumbsup:

Jason

18. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Actually, its not "Hippies". Its conservative council members that think if they prevent city roads from being improved and expanded they will keep Austin small. Often this takes the form of diverting money in the General Fund budgeted for public works to public protection initiatives (police, fire, ems). Austin is not a poor city by any stretch but it IS a city and its resources are limited and must be used sparingly. Given there is both a political and economic battle going on over public expansion and maintaining the current infrastructure its difficult to just say,"Fix that road instead of having that cop or water sanitation.

I work for City of Austin in the Department of Aviation (Austin-Bergstrom Airport). I see the political crap take place everyday. Its never "hippies". It's old rich guys that wish it was "the old days" again...

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Somewhere in here there is a lights discussion.

Lets come back to it please and leave the politics to other sites.

20. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #20 Jason Montague, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    :cornut: So let me get this straight..............You work for the people that you say are the problem. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.......no comment.:eek6:

Jason
    (sorry Nathan. I posted before I saw your post. I'm outta here.)