1st Gen R50 Cooper Coolant leak: theromostat gasket?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Steve, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    My '02 Cooper has had a bit of a coolant leak for a while. Decided to finally dig in and attempt to diagnose and fix. I rooted around until I saw what looked like the edge of a damp area under the air box so I removed it for a better look. Based on what I saw I decided to take out the battery box as well.

Yep, it's coolant (etc) and based on the location I suspect the thermostat gasket. The housing has never been removed so it's all original under there (again, an '02 build). Also, I see no evidence of leaks from any hoses in the area.

Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup, time to head to the dealer and buy a new OEM housing and gasket.

Don't use cheap Non OEM crap from Rock auto for that.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Hay I love RockAuto! A year ago I baught a driver side window regulator for like half the price of the dealer. Can't beat that!

By the way my driver side window will not roll up and seal correctly, does anyone know why? :frown2:

4. clifforddward

clifforddward Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Confirmed....likely to be t-stat related. Best to replace housing and gasket. Like Dave, I'd recommend OEM for this location...I've heard of many having problems with aftermarket.

When you get in there, smooth over all rough areas from corrosion....you'll want a smooth surface to seal against.

And avoid any temptation to go to worm screw clamps...stay with OEM type, they work best in the end as they provide constant pressure without cutting into hoses.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the consensus. I went back out and moved a few things aside so I could get at it and found fresh coolant on the bottom of the thermostat housing so I'm no longer wondering whether that's the source.

Based on what I've read I assumed that since MINI/BMW improved the gasket, presumably because of leaks, the housing should be fine and I just need to replace the gasket.

6. clifforddward

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Actually, you'd be wise to replace both the gasket and housing. Warped t-stat housings are a known issue....best to replace housing and gasket and be done with it...and don't forget to spend time cleaning up the sealing surface to smooth out any corrosion at point where gasket seals.

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #7 Dave.0, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    Do them both now or do them one at a time gasket now, cracked housing later.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    That's what I like. If I'm digging in somewhere anyway I appreciate the hints about other things in the same area that are prone to failure. :Thumbsup:

Will order both parts and then wait to replace them after I finish with the (likely) bigger fix.

Speaking of, now I need to get back in there and figure out why all my power steering fluid drooled out onto the driveway. Yeah, I'll probably start a separate thread for that.....

9. clifforddward

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    "...all my power steering fluid drooled out onto the driveway..."

Need a better definition of what you mean by this comment...if truly a large amount of power steering fluid, then something is broken....Let us know more about your symptoms and we can help diagnose.

More common is a small but persistent leak which will no doubt be one of the two hoses (the ones with the corrugated insulating metal wrapper) leaking from the reservoir down to the power steering pump...it is a known issue and affects nearly every Gen 1 car sooner or later. Note that the location of oil on the pavement under the car may be some distance from the reservoir as this oil can travel along undercarriage parts and present itself elsewhere on the ground.

Power steering fluid is a hydraulic fluid which over time affects the hoses and allows them to leak at the connection points. Tightening the clamps or adding worm clamps is at best a very temporary solution. Real fix is to replace with new hoses...when I did mine I went ahead and obtained the tools and proper OEM clamps to provide proper clamping action for hydraulic hoses...if you use worm clamps for the replacement be VERY careful not to clamp too tight or else you will damage the hose and be right back in the same spot in sort order.

Which brings up another point...it is a good idea to regularly clean the engine compartment of our Minis....doing so will allow you to easily see where leaks when they occur, making diagnosis better. Notice I said WHEN, not IF....our cars are prone to leaks in several places over time...luckily most all are known issues, and while some are time consuming to get to, none are difficult to fix, and rarely will they create emergency situations.

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  11. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup: I appreciate the tips, very useful and helpful, but please hold those thoughts...temporarily.

I'll likely carry over this discussion to a thread dedicated to my PS system leak (to make it easier for others to find when they need help). If you don't mind, I may also copy this comment to that thread to get the ball rolling.

12. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Dave. I barely keep the outside of my car clean but I do wince whenever I look deeper than the surface in my engine bay. I should have gotten over this long ago but I think I'm still affected by memories of how often I ended up parked beside the road whenever I hit a big puddle and a little water got up into the engine bay of my old ('68?) Opel Kadett. Then I'd be out in the rain with the hood up but trying to keep more rain from coming in while I dry things out so it would start again. Ever since then I've been loathe to intentionally spray any water in there. I know, it's an irrational fear based on an old, compromised system. Need to get over that one..... :eek:

13. Detroit Tuned

Detroit Tuned Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    evertyhing
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -0
  14. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, all, for the advice. I replaced the thermostat, gasket and housing. So far, so good.

For anyone who finds this thread while searching for help with a similar issue, here's a how-to thread.