1st Gen "How To" How To: Replace Thermostat, Housing And Gasket (R50)

IMG_2761.jpg
While doing some other work I decided to hunt down a long standing but very slow coolant leak. I followed the fluid stains up from under the car...
By Steve · Jan 23, 2018 ·
  1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    #1 Steve, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    "A" doesn't have a clamp because it is the overflow hose, so little to no pressure....

A set of these makes getting clamps off a world easier, especially on an R53 or R56.....

[​IMG]

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Very nice how-to write up Steve!

Dave do you have a link to where one could find the tool you've recommended?

4. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I saw that tool at my local Advance Auto. Thought about buying it but decided it was another single-tasker tool and, though I look forward to finding an excuse to buy a new tool every time I start a new project, I didn't want to fork out the cash when I could visualize a way to move those clamps with something I already own.

The spring clamps are fairly simple, though that tool would make it much easier to access some of them without having to move a bunch of other crap just so you can get some pliers in position. But the main problem I would expect with that tool is lack of leverage. Once I had my spring clamps fully depressed I still had to struggle mightily to move one of them along the hose past the bump over the flange. I don't see a way to apply a significant amount of lateral leverage with that tool. So, pros and cons...as usual. :smilewinkgrin:

5. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Dave. That's what I figured but I didn't want to assume.

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The clamp pliers work really well, once you've got the pliers in place on the clamp and squeeze it, it locks in place, so you can easily maneuver the clamp off the hose.

It's much worse on an R53, on those it makes the job possible compared to difficult to impossible without them.

You can buy these pliers from Sears or many auto parts stores. I think I paid $20 for mine. There are several styles and I think they'll all work, but the handles on the cheap ones are flat and will hurt your hands, the better ones the handle is rounded over and much easier to grip and squeeze.

It's definitely one of those tools that when you need it, you really need it!