1st Gen R50 Cooper Warning Lights?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by d0r33t0s, Jun 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. d0r33t0s

d0r33t0s New Member

Jan 10, 2015
    North Denver, CO
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    on the way back from a meeting yesterday, I was getting intermittent orange and red level temp alarms for the engine overheating. when i pulled over to check the coolant level, it was still full. I nursed the car home and parked it out on the street to cool off. several hours later I pulled it up into the garage, and it had a hard start, the temp alarms went off again, and the engine fan was blowing after shut off like I had just driven it through the mountains.

This morning i had a very rough start, and after initial temp alarms again they went away and the engine was purring like normal. about half way to work, the check engine light came on..

From what I can tell, the belts all look good, it's nothing obvious. My repair shop is a good 20 miles away from home/work. I'll be leaving my car here at the job all week and taking the wife's car back and forth, fortunately we work opposite shifts. Is it going to be safe enough to drive to the shop, or should I figure out a tow?

Any insight to possible cause or maybe a DIY fix?

I drive a 09 Cooper, never had this issue before.

2. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Sounds exactly like our BMW 5 Series when the electric water pump quit. I'd probably get a flatbed tow to be safe.

3. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I second this, but without the direct experience with a BMW 5 Series. 20 miles is plenty of time for the engine to overheat imo.

If I read you correctly, this is an R56? ('09 should be a second gen)

If I recall correctly, the water pump and thermostat are pretty deep in the engine compartment. The intake and associated pipes come out, of course, and the assembly is under the block. There's some fairly inaccessible clips in there, so while it might be DIY, it's a bit of complicated work in a cramped space.

Someone with more knowledge feel free to correct me on that.

4. d0r33t0s

d0r33t0s New Member

Jan 10, 2015
    North Denver, CO
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    had it towed by AAA to the shop, fairly certain it's just a faulty sensor, be in and ready to go early tomorrow. If it turns out to be something else, well then s*()*&! lol.