1st Gen R50 Cooper HELP Axle Seal Replacement

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by jeffster06, Jul 10, 2015.

1. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    So I am trying to replace a passenger side Axle seal on an 05 R52 with a 5 speed. Is there a trick to installing the new one? I just destroyed it trying to put it in, I had a seal installer tool that you tap with a hammer but no matter what I did it started going at an angle, eventually I got it really close to flush and all my pounding on it was doing was bending the lip. Got frustrated and ripped it out, so while I hunt for a new one if anyone has a trick to getting this thing in easily that would be great.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I use a socket that is the same size as the seal, but you said you have a tool. I hate to say this but it can take lots of patience. I start by holding it in place by hand and tapping very gently to get it started just a little. If at this point is gets a little side ways I can easily pull it out and start again. You may try pushing it in by hand then tap gently on the edge with a hammer. If one side starts in just a little hold that side in with your hand and tap on the other side to straighten it. once you get it started this way you can put the tool on it and finish the job.
    If you get frustrated take a break.

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    What MCS02 said.

I've done a lot of seals in the last year. I do NOT believe in the tools, mostly, because of the results you got.

I hold the seal in place with one hand and use a small hammer to VERY GENTLY tap the seal around the perimeter to work it into place STRAIGHT. If it ever moves more than a fraction of a mm in one tap, you're going too fast. Once it's about halfway in, you can use a seal tool or socket or pipe to GENTLY drive it the rest of the way in, straight.

4. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Got a new seal this morning, and I'm taking MCS02's advise and stepping away for a minute, no amount of minimal tapping is even getting this thing started. When you say tap the edge I'm guessing you mean that impossible to hit lip? I can hit it on maybe half the seal the other half is to tight on the motor. I don't think I've ever had this much trouble on a seal, I'm honestly starting to think I'm ordering the wrong part number. But all the other mini seals look nothing like this one.

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    #5 BlimeyCabrio, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    Weird. I've never come across one that gave me that much trouble.

Of course, I've done mine with the engine out of the car...

6. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I'm wondering if I have to pull the dust ring off the new seal, you remove it prior to pulling the old one, and the image in my Bently manual doesn't have it on there. No matter what I try it doesn't want to go in. New seal on rag, old above it.

Attached Files:

7. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Finally got it in, seeing I couldn't tap it in slowly I started holding the tool straight and tapping kept popping out, then I switched to a rubber mallet on the tool and it popped in with 2 hits... why couldn't it be that easy from the start?

8. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Drove the car last night, and the new seal is leaking a little bit after driving as well. I am starting to question if this Axle I got from orielly's has a big enough diameter to mate up to the seal in the trans. Both the old and the new seal leaked from the center rubber area and I was extra careful install the axle this time just in case. Thinking of returning this axle and biting the bullet on an OE rebuilt one from MINI.

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    ^^^ Damn.... You put a lot of work into it to end up with leaky seals....

Let me guess..... Were they not British made?

[​IMG]

10. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Don't know who makes the axle but it was a "new" one. The seal I got directly from mini. I noticed when reinstalling the axle it didn't seem to have any resistance inserting it into the trans. No leaks when the car is cold, after driving though it leaves a half dollar size spot on card board.

11. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Here's another update, I got a MINI replacement axle and measured the input diameters, on what I believe is the seal surface the Orielly axle was a few tenths smaller (probably within tolerance). I drove the car to work today and my first cardboard check showed no drips :Thumbsup: in the past it would drip within 5 minutes of parking so far things are looking good.