1st Gen R50 Cooper Massive loss of headroom with the moonroof?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by JeremyBMW, Oct 12, 2015.

1. JeremyBMW

JeremyBMW New Member

Oct 5, 2015
    CT
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Went and checked out a car today. This is third r50 I've actually gone to look at, but the first with a moonroof. I love these cars partly because I fit. I'm sort of a "long torso" 6 foot tall guy, so I'm usually searching for headroom. The other two r50s had headroom in spades, with enough leftover room for me to fit in one with helmet on and not need to adjust the seat at all. There was a solid 2 inches between my head and the roof.

Today though, I couldn't even fit in the car properly without being required to tilt the seat back more than I'm used to, which put the steering wheel a bit far away. Does losing around 2 inches of headroom sound correct for a slicktop vs moonroof car? The only other thing I can think is that there was something wrong with the driver seat that didn't allow to go as low as it should have. PPI is tomorrow, hopefully they'll catch it if that's the case.

It just seems weird to me that the moonroof takes that much headroom out of the car. Does that seem correct to you guys?

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    This may be stupid question but is the seat all the way down? I don't have a sunroof but my neighbor is easy 6.6 and he fits in my car without lowering the seat.

3. JeremyBMW

JeremyBMW New Member

Oct 5, 2015
    CT
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I pushed the handle until I hit a hard stop. It took some doing, the mechanism was stiff at first. Obviously the adjusters were rarely used by the current owners, and they were both a lot shorter than me. That's why I wonder if maybe there's something amiss in the mechanism. I wouldn't know what though, or how to check it.

4. Piston

Piston New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Bicycle Sales
    Central NC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I had an R53 and have an R55. Both I wanted without the glass top, but both ended up having the option.

Being what it is, I test drove multiple without. We are about the same height -- I am a touch taller, but I would not describe myself as long torso.

I didn't notice the difference in headroom. There could be some, but I'd be surprised if it was all that much. Issues with the seat may be the root cause.

I set my seat based on the speed/ tach in front of the steering wheel -- it is a good gauge of seat height change.

5. nxtMINI

nxtMINI Active Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Michigan
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    There shouldn't be an major difference in headroom. Most likely something is wrong with the seat.

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    There is definitely a loss of headroom, about an inch and a half. However, at six foot you should be able to fit just fine.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I haven't compared for that since I was buying mine in '02 but I clearly remember moving back and forth between the two cars they had avail in the showroom, one with and one without, trying them on. I'm 6'2" (also slightly longer torso than normal) and figured the first thing to check on such a small car was fitment...mine.

I distinctly remember being pleasantly surprised by both legroom and headroom in the car without the sunroof and then feeling equally surprised sitting in the car with the sunroof because my head was touching the liner. When I commented about it in the showroom I suddenly had lots of help from employees who assumed it was operator error and wanted to show me how to adjust the seats. None of that helped. These cars were brand new to them as well back then (Apr '02) and they assumed at first that the mechanism was broken or jammed in the sunroof car. Nope, they compared range of motion between the two cars and it seemed to match perfectly.

I remember the difference being well over an inch but that's as close as I can get with 13-year old memory of a subjective observation. Didn't bother me since I'm the guy who wants a discount to take a car with a sunroof, don't like them, but it left the Motoring Advisors confused and concerned.

FWIW, I got the same "it must be operator error" criticisms when I posted about it on MCO or Roadfly or wherever I was posting back then. (FYI, MCO or MINI Cooper Online was what NAM was called before MINI's lawyers forced then owner Mark to change the name.) It took a while before a few others my size and up finally started posting similar observations.

8. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    The liner drops down significantly to hold the sunroof mechanism. I replaced my roof (track car), and with a helmet, I hit the liner with the sunroof, with it out, plenty of clearance.

9. Piston

Piston New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Bicycle Sales
    Central NC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Interesting -- looks I was wrong. I have never noticed!

10. JeremyBMW

JeremyBMW New Member

Oct 5, 2015
    CT
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks a bunch, guys. I do like the moonroof, but I'm far from enamored with it. I'll stick to shopping slicktops!