1st Gen R50 Cooper Works for MINI's in general...

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Metalman, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I've always enjoyed reading Peter Egan's take on things. Thanks enjoyed rereading that one.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Great read!

4. aslondon

aslondon Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    Retired School District Director of Operations
    Monticello, FL
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Really enjoyed the read.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Peter Egan has several "Side Glances" books available on Amazon. They are great reads that include reprints of his articles in Road & Track. Lots of great stories to make a car guy smile. :D

6. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Since we seem to have two threads about this Egan article, I thought I'd share what I put in the other post.

From the article:

Ah yes, that took me back to the good old days of when the MINI was first introduced. Back when it was totally a seller's market and every MINI dealer was a bit of a dick, including the 3 dealers where I had placed deposits of $500 to $1000 so as to be able to purchase a Cooper S at full MSRP. This was circa late 2000 / early 2001 when I was able to find 3 BMW dealers who would become MINI dealers in a year or so. All were very nice and promised, in writing, to sell me a new MINI Cooper S when they first became available without any additional mark up.

And, like clockwork, all three stealerships later went back on their word and offered to sell me a Cooper S as we had discussed, but at thousands of dollars over sticker once they found out there was a strong demand for these cars. MINI USA was no help, explaining that each MINI dealer set their own prices blah, blah, blah. Never mind these dealers had already agreed to sell to me at MSRP. I was lucky to get my refundable deposits back - and that took a while.

The only saving grace back in early 2002 when the MINI was launched was that BMW Corporate actually owned two MINI dealers (don't know if they still do...). And these two dealers would not mark up the MINIs they were selling. One of these dealers was in Manhattan, and the other one was north of NYC in Westchester NY. Quite a bit away from me in Texas, but I was pissed off enough with the other dealers to not mind the distance. So, I was able to secure one of the few early Cooper S models available that was not automatically put into demonstrator duty at a dealership, as most of them were back then when the Cooper S was launched. And I am probably one of the few early MINI owners that did not pay though the nose to buy a car the first year or two after it was launched.

Just this past weekend I drove past one of the MINI dealers here in DFW and I bet I saw 200 MINIs just sitting on the lot waiting for new owners. What a difference.

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Just FYI, our local dealer - Baron BMW/MINI did not mark up their first cars - or any of them for that matter......tho they did charge MSRP.

When I went to order my 2009 Clubby, the parts manager (who was a friend of mine from way back) asked me - "we have over 125 MINIs in stock right now, and you can't fine ONE of them you like enough to buy?"

Answer - nope.

One of the hallmarks of this brand has been it's individuality - they claim no two MINIs are ever built exactly the same - I doubt this but they do cater to making it "yours"

Getting back to the OP, I also like Egan's writing, and have at least one of his "Side Glances" book, the one where he takes a 1000 mile trip in his E-Type - on a whim - with his wife. Mine would never do that......:nonod:

I also wonder if there will ever be another new car where people are putting deposits at three dealers hoping to just be able to buy one, let alone pay full price?