1st Gen R50 Cooper Regarding my thread below (Dilemma regarding oil cap cage...)

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by mjlwriter, Feb 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjlwriter

mjlwriter Banned

Jan 28, 2016
    Researcher, Technical Author, Engineer
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #1 mjlwriter, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    Nathan's abruptly halting the discourse between myself and Blimey/Grimey in the thread below was fine, but certainly not what a progressive posting site is all about. I did not start the insults with that dolt and his last word on the matter would seem to indicate that I had my answer from his postings and/or directions to other places from the outset. Not so, Grimey. That is SIMPLY not the case. Had Nathan left the thread open, I would have probably gotten a definitive answer from someone with actual technical knowledge vs. Blimey-poo, a poster who has thousands of posts no one really cares about. How many actual repairs have you done, Grimey. Maybe you successfully wiped down your dash. On second thought, you probably were unsuccessful there...

Anyway, I bit the bullet and bought/installed the new oil housing, cap, etc. -- rendering my question (and Grimey) moot. As for my reading comprehension, Grimey, which you question, I am an engineer and amateur mechanic who has worked on virtually every car under the sun -- from transmissions to engines, entire front ends, etc., often with no instructions.

In closing Grimey, you showed an ignorance that was often exhibited by the fascists of Germany (aggressive, narrow-minded people) of the 1930/40s. Perhaps you should think before you speak, rather than the inverse. I can assure you that if you reply, your reply will be ignored with extreme prejudice.

Nathan, I will not insult you, as you did what you thought was right in view of two people seemingly just responding to each other for no worthwhile reason. But, again, I was seeking an answer that Grimey was not supplying and he didn't like that I was simply asking him to not bother answering me anymore. I wished to converse with someone with a brain. Thx, chief!:lol::lol::lol:

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so when it was all said and done, you took Paul's advice.

Got it.

3. mjlwriter

mjlwriter Banned

Jan 28, 2016
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No, I took the path of least resistance, as the cage/no cage dilemma question bore no definitive answer... I defy anyone to read through Paul's posts and the red herrings he included and find a singular, definitive answer...

Regardless, I don't think it was necessarily Grimey, or at least only him, who recommended the housing swap. The ONLY reason I didn't do it initially was, well, money, but also I am not the young kid I used to be when I would spend hours under a vehicle with earphones on performing all manner of repairs (exhaust, O2 sensors, steering components, modifications, etc.) and not feel a thing afterwards...

Anyway, appreciate your economy of words approach employed toward making your point...

4. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Um, yes, you did what Paul (and others) recommended.

Look, you can go after anyone you want on here, but going after Paul isn't going to get you very far. He's got probably the most followed thread on here, and has built/rebuilt his MINI more times than anyone can count. And you learn a certain amount through doing that; not only how to do it, but where to find out how to do it.

But you did give him a nice new nickname which I won't hesitate to use in the future, so there's that.

5. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967 / 6 / -5
    Very odd way of saying I took yuns advice and bought the recommended parts, and last but not least thank you for all your good advice and help !! :rolleyes:

6. mjlwriter

mjlwriter Banned

Jan 28, 2016
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Roger that, cct1. I am actually familiar with his postings and, truth be told, I have picked up a tip or two from him over the years. His stuff is ubiquitous and some ridiculous site that his profile brings you to is, at best, obnoxious! And, as anyone can tell, he is pompous, self-serving, and limited in that when he can't rightly explain something, he blurs the edges of his answers and asks you to eat it up as if it's filet mignon. Then he gets personal by questioning my reading comprehension... Hmmmm! Dog food is dog food, even when you soften it up, mold it perfectly, and serve it Pittsburgh style. And, again, he did not answer my question solely. There were several who recommended I simply change the housing, before Grimey, and before I posted on this site. Thanks for at least not being condescending in your answer. And glad you liked his new name: Grimey!:D:D:D ...:D:D:D

7. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Oh Laurd won't ya buy me a Mercedes Benz...

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Give it a rest!

I'm declaring the definitive answer to the oil cage issue is to update the parts.

There, it is now definitive, because it's written on the interwebs.

9. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    #9 Goldsmithy, Feb 8, 2016
    WOW, I just figured it out. Here we have a blackened, Pittsburghed TROLL.

10. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    #10 Metalman, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2016
    ^^^ I will place this right here...

I got the Russian to English translation for you enjoyment... And you can sing along....:biggrin5:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4m4lnjxkY"]Trololo Sing Along! - YouTube[/ame]

11. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I'm struggling here to figure out what's worse....The lyrics, or the fact he's lipsyncing the lyrics...

12. mjlwriter

mjlwriter Banned

Jan 28, 2016
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Glad there is now a "definitive" answer (courtesy of Gnat) -- it comes a bit late, hoss -- a song and a translation. Gnat, before you shut down dialogue again, consult your U.S. book of "Being an American." Rule One: discourse of any kind, be it healthy or not, should not be curtailed for any purpose, particularly an individualistic agenda... That's censorship, got it? ... and in this case, it was to no doubt satisfy the whims of your friend, Grimey!

Don't know what I can add to this odd interchange... Perhaps a picture of Miss Piggy and Kermit working on the tranny of their Porsche. I think that's a weird enough reference. Definitive, too. As for the song that I did not watch/listen to, you guys can now sing "American Pie," while measuring out 4.7 quarts of earl for your next earl change...:ihih: ... :ihih:... :ihih:

13. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967 / 6 / -5
    At first I thought this thread was serious but I now realize it's comedy improv and it's hilarious !! :Thumbsup:

14. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Internet boards are not democracies, they're benign dictatorships in the case of this one, and much worse on most others. They have to be to survive.

Discourse is all well and good, but many of us here prefer intercourse much better, although thankfully not with each other.

15. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well that was fun. :devil:

16. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    #16 BruceK, Feb 8, 2016
    Back to the topic of oil filters and plastic cages.

My car is an April 2002 build and I am the original owner. I do my own oil changes, but I did avail myself of the "free" ones that MINI provided way back when while the car was under warranty.

Since I planned on keeping the car for a long time when I purchased it new, I did the car's first oil change at about 2K miles -- well before the oil monitor said it was due for it's first oil change. I did that respecting that the engine was factory fresh and had just been broken in, so I wanted that oil and oil filter with all that new-engine metal filings drained and replaced.

So... all this is leading me to tell you that I now remember that plastic cage for the oil filter from the early oil changes for my '02 MINI. But at some point 10+ years ago it magically went away (remember that the dealer was doing some of my oil changes). I now suspect that the dealer must have replaced my filter cap with a later one where the oil filter just presses onto the stub in the cap. Perhaps they had put up with enough of the plastic cages for the cars they were working on? This would have been circa 2004 or so. I don't think they changed out the entire filter housing, but maybe they did.

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY7ZX6ngOSs"]Cheech and Chong- Dog Shit - YouTube[/ame]

It takes a few recounts for the audio to start but it sums this dud and this thread:devil:

18. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    A classic bit.

We really need to change the name of this thread to "Good thing we didn't step in it."

19. mjlwriter

mjlwriter Banned

Jan 28, 2016
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #19 mjlwriter, Feb 8, 2016
    Finally, a decent response. The only question/concern I would have is that the newly designed cap is proven to have a different thread structure, so that it does not play nice with the old housing (different thread pitch)... Only way to use the new cap would be to swap out the housing and you'd know they'd done that because the work comes with a hefty $300 price tag... So, I do wonder what went on with your vehicle 10+ years ago. Perhaps your dealership scrapped the cage and just went with the new filter type (as of 2004) which had its own version of the cage, except integral to the filter itself... I was never able to discern, nor was I willing to experiment, whether the new type filter would serve the same purpose as the old cage... This is where Grimey really dropped the ball, lost his cool, and sh*t his pants -- and Gnat stopped the conversation cold... :mad2:

20. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    You're welcome