2nd Gen R56 Cooper Arm rest alternatives and wind deflectors

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by gmkieran, May 9, 2016.

1. gmkieran

gmkieran New Member

May 9, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Greetings, fellow enthusiasts!

Just acquired a lovely 2013 Bayswater edition R56. While there are MANY things I love about the car, the center arm rest/console ain't one of 'em. I've checked outmotoring.com, but the only alternative they offer that looks like it would solve my impediment issues doesn't look like it would actually mount on my car (the one that mounts behind the back seat cup-holder). I attempted to flip the rest around so that it pointed into the backseat, but the structure prevents that possibility, unless I un-bolt the entire bracket from under the seats and reverse it (if that would even work). anyone found a solution that doesn't delete the arm rest entirely? I do actually *use* it as an arm rest while driving and I like having the storage, but wish it weren't in the way when I go to use the e-brake or fasten the belts.

Something else I'm looking for are wind deflectors for the side windows. So far, all I've found are Countryman options - nothing for the R56. It would be nice if I could hear my Harman Kardon system with the windows down and I'd appreciate not wearing the wiper fluid when I go to clean the pollen off my windscreen. I'm about to get creative and fabricate something to run down the A post. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers!
    Grafton

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Sorry i can't help. It may be slow around here till everyone gets back from the Dragon. But there are a few unlucky Gen2 guys here that have not gone to the dragon yet. They may be able to help.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
  4. friendraja

friendraja Member

Aug 31, 2015
    System Administrator
    Dublin, ohio
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Forget about heavybreaking..it slides while you are shifting your gear sometimes..moreover i feel they are very delicate.

Its very hard to explain people, that they are just arm rests..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

5. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    #5 ZippyNH, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
    +1
    I had one of these "euro" armrests on my gen1...
    There is a gen1 and gen2 version...worked well...
    Just need to learn to do a funny grip/pull to set the e-brake when you park...or fold it up.
    Worked well for me...had it for maybe 7 years.

The "Euro" one is solid...no sliding top...and it BOLTS TO THE SEAT RAIL BOLTS...NO MOVEMENT if installed right.

The OEM factory one has the sliding top and is flimsy...The above euro one is only available in the US as a " gray market" part since it was not crash tested in us cars...
    Mine was Purchased in a group buy years ago, but nice that out motoring is selling them.
    I stress...it is not as "pretty" as the factory option one, but of the aftermarket ones, it is the strongest by far, most Stable, and actually better than the OEM option one....

6. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Just to stress..the pic linked too here is the "euro flip top" armrest
    NOT the sliding top one you are complaining about...THE sliding top one is the US OEM OPTION unit...

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    In distilled description....

Euro Flip Top (my pic)...... Fabulous....:Thumbsup:
    Us OEM Sliding Top..... Sucks.....:sad:

8. _iD

_iD New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    The sliding top on the US armrest is easily fixed with a $2 Wing nut.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

9. gmkieran

gmkieran New Member

May 9, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the information, folks! Unfortunately, the "Euro-flip" rest is what's already in my mini that I'm looking for an alternative to. It's in the way of my e-brake and makes it difficult for passengers to fasten their belts, so I was hoping for one that projected into the back seat (or a mod to the Euro-flip bracket that would allow me to reverse it). I don't want to eliminate the rest, though, because I actually use it while I'm driving and I like have the additional bit of enclosed storage. No other alternatives anyone's aware of? If not, I'll look into either modding the feet of the mounting bracket so I can turn the whole thing around or modding the stop tab that keeps the rest from flipping all the way to 90 degrees so I can turn just the rest around. I'd rather not have to take my seats out to do this, but I will if I have to.

Cheers!
    Grafton

10. BruceK

BruceK Active Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Looking for an armrest alternative?

Sit up straight and quit leaning.

I'll get my coat.

11. gmkieran

gmkieran New Member

May 9, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that oh-so-helpful input, BruceK. In point of fact, I do sit up straight. However, I suffer from significant arthritis in my shoulders and lower back, which means I can't suspend my arms in the air for long periods of time without significant strain. Being able to rest my elbow while holding the steering wheel alleviates that to some extent. Care to revise your opinion of my driving habits?

Cheers!

12. gmkieran

gmkieran New Member

May 9, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Guess I'm going to have to DIY the armrest. I haven't been able to find any alternatives other than the ones mentioned here. Anyone have any thoughts on wind/rain deflectors? The only model-specific ones I can find seem to be for the Countryman. I did find a possibility for the sun roof, but I have to make sure the built-in screens will clear it when they pop up. Anyone found some made for another car that fit the Cooper decently (maybe with a little modification)?

Cheers!

13. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,720 / 0 / -0
    I haven't had any problems with my stock armrest. But I've read that some people glue a rare earth magnet and a small piece of sheetmetal to the slider to keep it from opening easily.

Sorry, I don't have a solution for wind deflectors, I don't drive with my windows down. All I can recommend is a through Google search, someone must make a wind deflector for a MINI.

14. gmkieran

gmkieran New Member

May 9, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the thoughts, Dave. I don't have the sliding armrest, but the better-liked Euro version. Unfortunately, I don't like it - it's too long and blocks both my e-brake and passenger seat buckle. And so far Google has failed me. The R56's lack of an upper window frame prevents the standard wind/rain guards from being an option and so far no-one I can find makes a Cooper-specific variant, possibly because it's impossible. I was hoping for one just for the A-post with no upper coverage, but even that might be problematic if it interferes with the door opening. I might try to fake it with the rear-side deflectors for an extended cab pickup if I can find some close to the right length that won't interfere with the door.

Cheers!