3rd Gen F56 Cooper 2013 Mini low oil pressure light on

Discussion in '3rd Generation: 2014+ F54, F55, F56, F57, F60' started by Malvin, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Malvin

Malvin New Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am a new member and hope someone can help me. My daughter bought a 2013 Mini in Jan 2015 with 23000 miles. She was told by the dealer she bought it from that the Mini warranty was good until Nov. 2016. She immediately registered the car with Mini. Mini verified the warranty is good. My daughter is the second owner. She had no problems with the car until a few days ago the oil pressure light came on. I carried it to a Mini dealer and they connected a manual gauge to the engine and verified the pressure is low. They recommended a new engine at a cost of 10.000 dollars. They think the engine has been abused. The engine runs perfectly with no noise, no smoke. Oil level is perfect and oil is clear. The problem (i am not making this up) is Mini said they will not honor the warranty unless my daughter can show copies of oil changes on the car from the time it was purchased new. This brief description of the situation is just the tip of the iceberg. HELP!!

2. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    I have seen this twice recently

on N18 engines-and-both had been hit on the oilpan right below the oilpump pickup, closing the space between pickup and bottom of pan, causing oil starvation. In both cases, removing the oil pan and whacking it flat with a hammer and a 2x4 cleaning and reinstalling it fixed them. I have heard, but have not yet seen, the electronic pressure solenoid inside the oil pump (serviced seperately from the pump) can go bad and cause this as well, another easy fix. DO NOT replace the engine, find another shop-they do not know what they are doing.

3. Malvin

Malvin New Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What indicator light comes on to show it's time to change oil in a 13 Mini? What light comes on to indicate low oil pressure in a 13 Mini? Are they the same? Thanks

4. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    There is no 'indicator' light for oil level, that is handled by the checked once a week dip stick. A lot of folks change oil every 5K regardless. The low oil pressure indicator indicates parking the car and not running the engine until the problem is resolved.
    Ditto on finding another shop. Maybe this will help:
    http://www.minirepairshops.com/
    Independent shops tend be be problem solvers unlike dealerships whose standard response is the remove the hood ornament and and attach a new car to it.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Best post of the Day ..... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

6. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Aftermarket oil filter?

7. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    Find a better MINI dealer. I am 99-percent sure the MINI dealer I use, Sewell MINI of Plano, would find a way to get that engine repaired and charge it to MINI.

Some car dealers look at customers as cows to be milked, while others see them as potential lifetime customers. I bought my 2007 MCS from a Mazda dealership with 80,000 miles on it, and Sewell MINI has treated me like their best customer. In return, they get first shot at selling me my next car -- and the one after that -- and potentially the one after that.

So, again, find another MINI dealer -- one that wants your long term business. 23,000 miles? Seriously? I get better service from Sewell at my current 102,000 miles.

CD

8. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    There is a basic "Service" light that comes on when it is time to change the oil. I have always changed mine before the service light came on, although not 5,000 miles before it came on.

But, on your daughter's MINI, the big risk is letting the oil level get too low, as all MINIs lose oil between changes. Even if the oil had never been changed, as long as the oil level remained sufficiently full, today's synthetic oils would survive 23,000 miles. Not to say that's a good idea, but it shouldn't kill the engine.

Your best practice is to keep track of your maintenance on paper, and not count on the car's computer to tell you what to do. There is also something to be said for paying extra to have the OEM dealer do your basic maintenance. It costs more, but the service goes into a permanent record, so you never have to "prove" you did it.

CD

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    MINI's LOVE OIL. Check it and Change it often. Most change at 5k.

10. Zillon

Zillon Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Central NJ
    Ratings:
    +633 / 0 / -0
    This. 100% this.

Don't listen to the factory recommended 10k+ OCI BS.

11. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's not true.

ACEA A-1 b-1 synthetics should be changed every 3k miles in a turbocharged car. A-3 b-4 synthetics can make it 5k miles before they start shearing viscosity. Small displacement motors/turbos thrash oil. I wouldn't take it past 5k oil changes or you won't make it past 100k...

The guides are chintsy low friction brass, just change the oil...