2nd Gen R56 Cooper Justa losing coolant after shutdown

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by JeremyBMW, Jul 22, 2016.

1. JeremyBMW

JeremyBMW New Member

Oct 5, 2015
    CT
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    2009 Mini Cooper base. 127k miles. Thermostat and housing were replaced at 119k miles.

Recently the car has begun leaking coolant after shutdown. It doesn't do it while running, but after shutdown and sitting for a few minutes a slow drip will develop, leaving a decent sized wet spot on the ground by morning.

It appears to be coming from the area at the end of the headers, somewhere near the oil filter housing. Space is tight there tough, so it's really difficult to trace it precisely. The thermostat area looks dry as do the lines connected to it.

Oddly, the shop that checked out the car when I had the massive oil leak pressure tested the cooling system and found no leaks, so I'm at a bit of a loss to explain it.

Size and location of the overnight leak.

coolant1.jpg

Some views under the hood.

coolant2.jpg

Coolant3.jpg

It appears that it might be coming from the area near the base of the oil filter housing. That gasket is a horrible job though, so I'm hoping someone might have another theory.

2. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    Did you check the overflow tank? That is pretty much the area it would leak since it is right above the oil filter. Other than that it could possible be the water pump...however I would think that would leak all the time. Mine was replaced at 99k, right before I bought it.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    How much coolant do you have to add? Is it posable that it is condensation from the AC?

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Very good point. Put some paper towels down to catch it and confirm coolant color and odor.