2nd Gen R56 Cooper R56, N12: IBS

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by mark1, Sep 26, 2016.

1. mark1

mark1 New Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I see from a tech article from pelicanparts on changing the battery, "If your R56 is not equipped with the IBS unit you do not have to register it." If anyone can tell me how to determine from looking at the vehicle if it does, in fact, have the Intelligent Battery Sensor, I'd appreciate the information. I checked a couple of VIN decoders on my vehicle, and do not see any mention of IBS; maybe it wasn't optioned or standard for that time in production, or maybe they just don't mention that detail in the VIN decoder.

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Look at the battery terminal connection...

If it has this sensor as part of the cable clamp you have it...

If it looks like a normal batter cable clamp, you don't...

Here's a pic with the sensor as part of the battery cable clamp...

ibs.JPG

3. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Did someone ask if their car had IBS, AKA irritable bowel syndrome? Jk!
    Looks like you got a good answer!
    The purpose (primarily) of the ibs was to allow start -stop programming....but on cars that it is not used, it can cause issues, like more difficulty in swapping batteries.

4. mark1

mark1 New Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info. What I have on my car does not look like the picture with the sensor (although the cable does not exactly look "normal" to me either---but my normal is stuck in the late '60s) . And also my car does not have start-stop. That's interesting information on the use. So I think that answers the question.

Sure, I asked whether my car had IBS, and I did it with a straight face; it's not my acronym.