Excessive Oil Use - Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums   Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums
Home Register Reviews Gallery M/A Store Library Support M/A Sponsors Clubs Garage Search Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Motoring Alliance :: MINI Cooper Forums > 2nd Generation MINI > Cooper

» Random Garage

T6TMP

minime7748
» Ad Links
Advertisement

Advert

» Ad
Register now to remove the above ad
Sponsor

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Stage 0 - Stock

Excessive Oil Use

My 2007 Mini Cooper S is using a quart of oil about every 1000 miles. Only 38,000 miles. Seem excessive to me. I recently took the air inlet to the turbo off and you could see oil on the turbo inlet.

Anybody else seen excessive oil use? Any idea why?

thanks
ScottMHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Stage 1

I'm going to guess that you have a broken piston ring or 2.
Seems to be a common problem.
First thing to do is a leak down test.
That will give some idea to what problem is.
Compression test is another idea.
Vollgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
Stage 5

I remember seeing a TSB where an improved PCV valve was listed. The earlier R56's had more of a problem with oil vapors being sucked into the intake manifold. If I can find it I'll post it up.

Sitting in the third stall down, keeping extremely quiet while getting my M/A forum updates, and hoping management won't find me until after payday.
Metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
Stage 5

Hope this helps...

Can't seem to attach a PDF......
Attached Thumbnails
Excessive Oil Use-image-6216751.jpg  

Sitting in the third stall down, keeping extremely quiet while getting my M/A forum updates, and hoping management won't find me until after payday.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Stage 0 - Stock

both sound like reasonable possiblilities. If a ring is bad wouldn't the spark plub for that piston also be more oily than the others.

I cannot read the TSB since I cannot increase the size so I can read it. Where did you find it?
Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Stage 5

Here is the thread on our forum...

Gen 2 Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) Database

In my case I didn't download all of the TSB, only the ones after my manufactured date... The one I listed was SIM110109, it talks about some packaging issue with the new and improved PCV and head cover. You need to go back through the TSB's and find the one that calls for the replacement of the head cover with the new and improved valve.

Now I'm not saying that this is your problem but the earlier R56's did have a problem sucking excessive oil.

Good luck

Old 05-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Stage 4

Interesting. I've been warned of this by other MINI owners AND my local service advisors. I've been fairly paraniod about it. I check my oil regularly 2-3k miles and after EVERY session on track. I haven't had an issue so far. Hope I'm a lucky one.

Good luck getting yours fixed. Looks like the TSB database comes to the rescue again. That is an AWESOME resource.

2014 Mustang GT w/Track Package
Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Stage 0 - Stock

Metalman, thanks for the link. I printed out the TSB and will look at that and the spark plugs tonight.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
Stage 4

Hi Scott, A friend of mine has an 08 justa with 48K on it. All of a sudden she is experiencing low oil levels / excessive oil use issue, this is not a leak. Her husband changes oil religiously and she doesn't hammer the car. She took it into the dealer for codes (?). They found it low on oil and it did have a fouled plug, the dealership added oil and replaced the plugs. Hope it's not the mentioned broken rings, she is almost out of warranty.
Have you found out what is going on with your MINI and what the problem is/was?
Norm03s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
Stage 0 - Stock

Never figured out the issue. I checked the plugs and they all looked good. Still runs fine and still uses about a quart every 1000 miles. 48000 miles now.