2nd Gen R60 Countryman Countryman S All4 on 205/70-16 winter tires

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by bmwr606, Nov 13, 2012.

1. bmwr606

bmwr606 New Member

May 10, 2012
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    swapped my summer wheels/tires for winter wheels/tires today

off came the Pirelli Cinturato P7 225/45-18 RFs and mini Turbofan 18" white wheels

on went the
    mini OEM R123 Alloy 5 Hole Circular Spoke Wheel 16" (5x120) Silver
    and
    205/70-16 Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6 tires non-RFs

the pirellis are 25.9" OD and the dunlops are 27.3" OD
    the dunlops fill the wheel well nicely and no rubbing with the sport suspension

even though they are winter tires, they are much quieter than the pirelli rfs

the ride is "softer" too

wish the wheels were white instead of silver, but i am too cheap to repaint the new wheels

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just got back from a speedo vs GPS speed check run

with the stock tires, 225/45-18, speedo was 1.9 mph higher than GPS speed

with the winter tires, 205/70-16, speedo is .6 mph lower than GPS speed

i can live with that

on a side note, this all4 is a hoot to drive on dry pavement with the narrower less sticky winter tires

i can initiate a slide mid corner with the throttle with much more control than with the summer tires

hmmm ... maybe my next set of summer tires will be all-seasons with less traction than the summers .... acck ... did i just say that?!

scott

2. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Nice winter conversion! 70-series tires would likely feel very plush indeed.

Duly noted on your less grippy tire / more driving fun proposition. In Miata-land, that I recently vacated, there was a similar feeling that slimmer tires (as suppled as stock) actually made for a more enjoyable driving experience most of the time (4-wheel drifts, "classic" sports car driving, etc.) versus gummy, wider tires that would skidpad to higher numbers or be better for autocross Sundays.