2nd Gen R60 Countryman Brake assist

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by doubletrouble, Apr 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. doubletrouble

doubletrouble New Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Have just bought a countryman and have been having difficulty in getting used to the brakes. At slow speeds, my passengers are being subjected to whiplash and I am afraid that any vehicle following me may not be able to stop as quickly as me.

The system works fine at speed, but when in slow moving traffic, the car stops dead with the lightest touch on the brakes.

Does anyone else have this problem?

2. kconner5

kconner5 New Member

May 23, 2011
    Works at MINI of Fairfield County
    New Canaan, CT - High Point, NC (College, High Poi
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Nope. I have perfect brake modulation on my Countryman. When I get out of a Suburban or a vehicle that requires a lot of brake travel to get the thing to stop, then I have the same problem you're describing, but then I get used to the R60 brakes again.

Kyle

3. Nelzie

Nelzie New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I have the opposite problem... well, sort of. I love the brakes in my MINI. Excellent stopping power... but, the 2012 Turbo Beetle? I hate those brakes! I have mash down on them and they still sloooooowly stop the car.

4. bmwr606

bmwr606 New Member

May 10, 2012
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    no problem with the brakes on my 2012 cms all4

scott

5. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: 1st Post. Welcome to MA. Sounds to me that you have normal MINI brakes but perhaps just aren't used to them yet. GOOD LUCK and MINI on!:Thumbsup:

Jason

6. doubletrouble

doubletrouble New Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That's bad news. Does that mean even the 2 door minis are the same? Can't understand the huge difference with my RAV4 which also has brake assist, but that only comes on when travelling at normal speeds, not when crawling.

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Brake assist is working all the time, not dependent on speed. This is something you will get used to, it aint Toyo brakes.

8. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: My Margi(08 R56 BRG MCS/JCWm) has excellent IMEDIATE braking with very little pedal pressure at all speeds. It took a very brief amount of time to get used to them. Prior to that I could almost snap my own seat belt shoulder strap! When in a braking emergency, you'll really learn to love them.:Thumbsup:

Jason

9. doubletrouble

doubletrouble New Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks to all for your feedback 'c'est la vie'. Might have to get surgical collars for myself and my passengers.

10. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    It's the brake pads. Swap out the factory pads for some ceramics and it'll be easier to modulate the brakes. BMW prefers pads with an on/off feel because most drivers don't push hard enough on the pedal. My gf's X3 is the same way.

11. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:(BThayer23 thanks) Which reminds me of our unofficial survey some time ago where most of us who changed from factory pads went with EBC Redstuff(ceramic) pads. The 2nd place pad wasn't even close. Redstuff on my Margi(08 R56 BRG MCS/JCWm) for several years now and they are way better and last longer than MINI factory pads.:Thumbsup:

Jason

12. bmwr606

bmwr606 New Member

May 10, 2012
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    i doubt you are triggering brake assist, page 70 of my 2012 cms all4 OM:

'Brake Assist
    Rapidly depressing the brake causes this system
    to automatically develop maximum braking
    force. Thus, the system helps keep braking distance
    to a minimum. At the same time, all the
    benefits provided by ABS are exploited.
    Do not reduce the pressure on the brake for the
    duration of the full braking application."

the computer is watching the brake pedal ... if it sees rapid movement, ie "panic stop", brake assist takes over

compared to my 1997 gmc sonoma p/u truck, the cms brakes are very light, needing little pressure on the pedal to get significant brake action

i think you have a learning curve to get over, try this:

go drive slowly in a parking lot, wearing a pair of softsole shoes or barefoot
    be very aware of how far/hard you are pressing the brake pedal
    it won't take long to learn the light touch needed in the cms

as to blaming the pads, i am quite happy with the TSW branded OEM pads that came on my cms all4, they stop quickly when cold, don't fade and best of all, make little to no brake dust (i have white wheels)

scott

13. doubletrouble

doubletrouble New Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the suggestion. Certainly worth a try.

14. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    (Retired) EHS & Quality Systems
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Hi doubletrouble,
    When we got our CM, I did pretty well with the brakes since my Mazdaspeed6 has serious brakes too ---- so a modulated foot is needed.
    BUT, when I drive the 95 Toyota Previa for a couple days then I do a little whiplash thing in my CM (or Mazda) on the first trip.

The hardest adjustment for me in my Countryman is the automatic's downshift - which makes for some herky jerky with the brakes. Hell, I am able to not touch the brakes and the downshifting does plenty slowing on its own. That's SO not like my Toyota's downshifting. This issue takes me longer to adjust to than my manual shift Mazda.

Hope you adjust and enjoy the MINI.

15. doubletrouble

doubletrouble New Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes papa-j, that's exactly my problem. The automatic downshift to 1st gear when combined with braking, even lightly, causes the whiplash effect. I'll have to keep working on it. I thought it was the brake assist but I think now it is more like a keen servo, combined with the modern trend to automate to cater for inexperienced drivers.

16. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Toyota uses ceramic brake pads. They don't grab as hard as the semi-metallic pads that BMW uses. I drove my dad's Tundra for a couple days and was surprised at how smooth the brakes were - easier to modulate than my mom's 2011 Cooper.

17. bmwr606

bmwr606 New Member

May 10, 2012
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    my dad has a 2012 cms all4 with automatic ... it does not shift down to first while braking to a stop

maybe you should have a dealer look at your mini

scott

18. doubletrouble

doubletrouble New Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That's really interesting, thanks. It is going to the dealer next week so I will raise the issue and see what is said.