2nd Gen R60 Countryman 19" Summer Sticky Tires - Opinions Please?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Z06_Pilot, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    Hi folks,

I am also posting this question on NAM as well to get as many opinions as possible before I drop a chunk of change on tires.

We will be taking delivery of our CMJCW in the next couple of days and we optioned it with the 19" crusher wheels. Those Pirelli "performance" RF tires will be gone quickly and relegated to winter driving duty.

I am going to order a set of the nm engineering CM-specific 19" gunmetal wheels and I am wondering what 19" tires work really well on the CM.

Not looking for all-season here, but a performance tire that is usable in the rain. I have always been a fan of Michelin Pilot Sport tires for my other cars, but am wondering is there a "killer" performance tire that just works great for the CM?

thanks

Jeff

2. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    Yokohama makes some good summer performance tires, I used to put them on my TT Quattro. I think they were the AVS ES100s. Really liked them on that car. I'm sure some of the other folks around here can make a better recommendation for a CM, everyone has their own preferences. But I did find that while I had the TT that none of the high performance summer tires performed very well in the wet. Just my $.02.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Yokoblama ES100 tires are NLA. Replaced withe the S Drive. I have those on the MINI & Miata, love them.

Make sure those oem 19 runflats are all season. I'd guess they might not be.

4. TexasChiliS

TexasChiliS Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    S-Drives.....Had to get rid of mine on my R-53 about 1/2 way through tread life due to excessive noise...and I keep my car aligned and rotate the tires...just my $.02

5. Z06_Pilot

Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    Oh don't I know it....I rarely get stuck in the rain in the Z06, but the couple of times I have it was on the interstate. i got in the right lane with my hazards on and was going about 45mph top speed as the back end was all over the place hydroplaning....that's with the Pilot Sport Cups....

I do have to make sure the summer tires I get can handle rain a little better since my wife will be the primary driver of the CMJCW.....

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    News to me. Maybe time will tell. I know if tires are not rotated enough the can get plenty loud. Hope I don't experience what you found. I really like the tires, great in the rain too.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Conni DW are good tires and the Conni DWS are more like all seasons.

I also had to get rid of my Yoko S-Drives because of noise. I liked the tire it just became too loud and drove me nuts.

8. kconner5

kconner5 New Member

May 23, 2011
    Works at MINI of Fairfield County
    New Canaan, CT - High Point, NC (College, High Poi
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Loving my Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Stick like glue and are even more comfortable than my previous DWS's (The DWS's don't grip much, haven't had experience with the DW's but I hear they're much better as they are a summer tire)

Kyle

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I am running Dunlop Star spec 1's right now but will be getting the new Dunlop Dz II next Spring.

10. nxtMINI

nxtMINI Active Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Michigan
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Love my Dunlop Direzza ZII's

11. Z06_Pilot

Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    I have been seeing a lot of votes for the Conti DW's and The Pilot Super Sports. I'm glad to see that experienced Mini folks feel the SS's do well on Mini's. I have used them for years on other cars(not the super sports, but the Pilot Sport Cups), and have total confidence in them, and are a great tire.

Going to do more research on the DW's...I don't have any personal experience with the Continental brand...

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    If you like your SS don't even bother with the DW that are a step back.
    The only thing worth trying is the Dunlop ZII's IMO

13. Bullit Bob

Bullit Bob New Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Soft Or Hard Ride

Howdy,
    I have a 2009 S Clubman that came with 16" runflat tires. The previous owner switched to 18" non-runflat tires. When I got the mini, I tried the 18" non-runflat tires for awhile, but I wanted a softer ride. I switched to 15" wheels and tires, and I could not believe how much softer the ride was.
    Good Luck.

Bullit Bob

14. sethat46

sethat46 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Financial Sales
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I have the continental DW. There are those that love them. I however do not. Initially the grip is amazing, then the rain comes... have fun gripping that wheel tight and hope to god your mini can stay in the lane.

I'll be switching soon. Not sure to what quite yet, probably something inexpensive as the wallet cannot handle too much at the moment.

I mean if you live in a dry environment have at it. However, I think their lifespan is exactly a year from my experience.

15. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Seth, Z06 lives were you do....arid dry Central Ohio :)